Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I found a 1966 Mustang convertible for sale an no title or door tag. On these cars there is a VIN # on the frame on the passenger side around the wheel? I have a 74 F250 an the VIN # is on the frame there. An how hard would it be to get a title for one with just the VIN # on the frame?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think it depends on the state you live in. There would be the VIN stamp on both sides under the hood, but the fender needs to come off to see the passenger side.

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
The tag on the door is meaningless. Look for the VIN here:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks yea on the Mustangs I don't know if they are on the frame or not. I got a 74 F250 Crew that has the VIN # on the frame an figured Ford put VIN #'s on the frame on all there vehicles back then. So if somebody swapped fenders out on it the VIN # would still be there? Is thereany place else to look for the VIN #? The car I am looking at does not have a title in my state you have to have a title so I am looking to go through Mustang Titles or Broadway Title company for a title for it. Is there any place else that does titles besides these 2?

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
The VIN is on the fender apron, welded to the car, not the fender.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Your questions were answered.

VIN is on the unibody (not the fender) in the locations noted.

What is required by the DMV depends on your state.

Call the DMV and ask them what is required and what you need to do. There are forms for missing pink slips and could be as easy as that.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The tag on the door is meaningless. Look for the VIN here:

+1 they are on the unibody under the fender. There is a notch out on drivers fender so you can see the VIN stamp, the others are covered by the fenders. I have seen many Mustangs were the VIN is filled in with paint.
Sometimes they are easier to read if you take a pic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts