Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
I had to repair the shock tower holes on MyFirstCar as well, just used a little round plug to tack in then weld around and ground smooth. A little primer, a little paint, good as new. Got some 90° zerks in some new control arms and it's been happy ever since.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I pulled all the power steering off the car. I removed all the tie rods and steering box. I am going back with manual.A guy is suppose to trade me for a manual unit. The power steering is high to repair. My pump is the thicker one because the car has air and it is lock up so it also need rebuilt. Manual will be simple and easy and should work good with my headers.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Wow, just torch a hole to get at the grease fittings. Good thing they didn't have hand grenades available. I guess they didn't know right angle grease fittings can be had for less than $1 each. They aren't too hard to install without any disassembly other than to take the old ones out first.
More common than you might think my 1st 66 was cut like that and I've seen a lot more
To the OP welcome ,and you may wan to consider an Export brace

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ok finally finished some more work on the 66. I put new seals in the rear end along with new brakes and wheel cylinders and under coated from the rear end back. I also scored a 66 289 completely rebuilt. Was started about 1 year ago. Going to paint it blue then stick it in my car.IMG_2659 by Daniel Crymes, on FlickrIMG_2657 by Daniel Crymes, on FlickrIMG_2656 by Daniel Crymes, on FlickrIMG_2659 by Daniel Crymes, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,882 Posts
I pulled all the power steering off the car. I removed all the tie rods and steering box. I am going back with manual.A guy is suppose to trade me for a manual unit. The power steering is high to repair. My pump is the thicker one because the car has air and it is lock up so it also need rebuilt. Manual will be simple and easy and should work good with my headers.
Did you know you could keep your power steering box since it's 16:1 versus the manual 19:1 box?

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I will be following. I am also in the process of a restomod of my 66 coupe. The thread is "1966 Coupe Restomod". Hopefully I can "steal" great ideas from you. I see that you pulled engine without tranny. That is what I plan to do in the next week or two. When you pulled the engine what would you consider the biggest challenge of the pull was? This is basically where I'm at. Interior is gutted. Engine pull is next.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Pulling the engine was a piece of cake. Four bolts through the motor mounts. Bellhousing bolts and it is loose. Make sure and block up the transmission so it does not drop to far . Yours is looking good.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts