Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I own a 1966 Mustang Coupe(289 C code), and my console lights are not working at all. The same goes for my storage area light(I have the design with the light on the back wall), as well as the automatic shifter light.

I’ve used a test light to check for voltage in the blue/black wire that connects to the rear console lights, and apparently there is no power flowing to it. So I’m assuming the wire is disconnected at the main disconnect.

I’ve checked a few wiring diagrams and from what I’ve gathered, the same wiring harness connects all of these lights. The wire goes in to the shifter hole, under the car, and in to the firewall.It then connects to the main disconnect, from what I’ve gathered. Can someone shed some light on this or tell me what to do next? I just want my lights working!

Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wiring harness for the rear courtesy lights should run like the diagram for the 65. My 66 harness runs under the driver side scuff plate.
Thank you for the prompt reply Travis! I was referring to the center console rear lights, the ones right behind the ash tray. Those, the automatic shifter light, and the stowage compartment light on the console aren’t working.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All I can tell you is start at the fuse box. Unfortunately Ford ran their dome/ctsy lights wiring backwards which leads to tougher diagnosis and more issues when you have a short. It can be anything from a shorted switch to a chaffed wire.
Are they supposed to activate when the interior lights do? Or all of the time? Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Based on this thread I thought the black/blue wires that probably feed the console were up by the brake pedal. Looking at the wiring diagram the console lights are run by wire #53 which is the same as the dome light so they should be on whenever the dome light is on.

·
Premium Member
10,036 Posts
The lights at the aft end of the console are on the same circuit as the under dash courtesy lights- they come on when a door is opened or the headlight switch knob is rotated fully to the right (or is it left?). The shifter light only comes on when the headlight knob is pulled out 1 click (running lights) or 2 clicks (headlights).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank both of you for the replies! So did the wire go through the shifter hole and then under the car through the fire wall? Looking at the diagrams, this appears to be so. I just think it would of made more sense running it under the storage compartment and then up to behind the cluster.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have an a/c console and it ties in near firewall near floor discharge for heater.

As mentioned already operates with door switches.

Comes on with underdash lights too.

Are the underdash lights working?

If I remember correctly there are some bullet connection near fuse panel and headlight switch that might need attention too.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I don't have a console, and I don't have a 66, but in my 67 the wiring for the shifter light doesn't go under the car at all. It just goes under the carpet so I'd imagine your console wiring should stay in the car as well.

The neutral safety switch wiring runs on the outside of the car along the firewall, but the light bulb wiring is inside.

On mine, you can see the wiring comes out of the shifter and then to a connector that's taped to the tunnel:

From there it goes along the tunnel up past the heater and to the fuse box:

I'm guessing your console wiring should follow a similar path.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you to everyone for your replies, I appreciate the care! Here’s the reasoning I saw for it going through the shifter hole. I can’t tell if the illustration has 13B712 going behind the console and plugging in, or under the car and through the fire wall. Both would work I guess, I’m just trying to keep it close to stock wiring.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
That does make it kinda confusing. I wonder if that's just meant to indicate that the wires go under the bracket like my non-console wire does?

Do you have the Osborne Electrical Assembly Manual? This is what it shows for 67. I think that would make it clear if the 66 went under the floor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 66 coupe has the short A/C console and my shifter light and console light wiring run on top of the tunnel and go up by the heater plenum.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If your courtesy and glove box lights work then your problem is probably with the intermediate wires 53, 54 and 490 (center/right with bullet connectors on each end) in the wiring diagram. One end of these intermediate wires plug in to the console wires near the shifter hole and the other end to the under dash wiring harness where they come out from behind the top of the firewall insulation pad. Kinda sounds like the wires were unplugged to remove the console and didn't get plugged back in. All of these wires should be run in the interior under the carpet.

66acces diagram.jpg

·
Registered
628 Posts
The wires for my 66 console run under the rug and up the inside of the firewall to plug into the underdash wiring harness. There should be an intermediate wire that goes from a blur and a green connector under dash harness down to the shifter hole. The back up light and neutral safety switch feed run down from the engine compartment, under the floors and up thru the shifter hole.

You probably have an issue up under the dash where the console feed plugs into. Look next to the Gauge Feed Wiring main disconnect. You should see a blue and a green connector.

There is a colorized diagram from Clanmcmuffin. I'll try to attach it.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts