Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the exact differences in all the 1966 mustangs soft top code models and what each code model engine looks like under the hood?

·
Premium Member
12,066 Posts
Are you asking about Convertibles when you say "soft top"? All 3 of the '66 Mustang body styles had the same 4 engines available.
1) T code 200 cu. in. inline 6 cylinder. This was the standard engine. The V8 engines were options.
2) C code 289 with 2V carb. The air cleaner had a sticker that says "289 Cubic Inches".
3) A code 289 with 4V carb. The air cleaner had a sticker that says "289 Cubic Inches 4V-Premium Fuel". The air cleaner sticker is the only appearance difference between the C code and A code.
4) K code 289 High Performance. The air cleaner was chrome plated and the decal said "289 Cubic Inches High Performance". The valve covers were chrome. The distributor did not have a vacuum advance canister.
Those are the under hood appearance differences.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I thought my 66 was a soft top yes convertible because it had a vinyl roof and thank u vary much u u answered my questions

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Are you asking about Convertibles when you say "soft top"? All 3 of the '66 Mustang body styles had the same 4 engines available.
1) T code 200 cu. in. inline 6 cylinder. This was the standard engine. The V8 engines were options.
2) C code 289 with 2V carb. The air cleaner had a sticker that says "289 Cubic Inches".
3) A code 289 with 4V carb. The air cleaner had a sticker that says "289 Cubic Inches 4V-Premium Fuel". The air cleaner sticker is the only appearance difference between the C code and A code.
4) K code 289 High Performance. The air cleaner was chrome plated and the decal said "289 Cubic Inches High Performance". The valve covers were chrome. The distributor did not have a vacuum advance canister.
Those are the under hood appearance differences.
K code has a thicker harmonic balancer, thick 4 blade fan and different looking exhaust manifolds...and probably the larger master cylinder for disc brakes.

·
Dimples
4,863 Posts
Well I thought my 66 was a soft top yes convertible because it had a vinyl roof and thank u vary much u u answered my questions
If the roof folds down, it’s a convertible. If it’s got a fixed roof with vinyl top, it’s called a hard top with a vinyl roof.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts