Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know too much about the earlier Mustangs, but just purchased a 1966 Fast Back (to later re-sale) and have some questions. The Door tag reads: 63B Z F8 19E 72 6 6. I have already decoded this information along with the VIN (it's an original 289 2V C Code Engine car). It should be a deluxe interior from what I deciphered, but this car only has the wood grain steering wheel in it as of now. The seats are blue - wrong color for this car (and no running horses), so they aren't original, the original doors are missing the courtesy lights, but the factory holes are there for them. The glove box door and instrument cluster is black instead of wood, so someone has gotten rid of alot of the desirable stuff. My question concerns the front disc brakes. Everything looks normal and appears to be original. The brake pedal and accelerator pedal have the stainless trim around them and the brake pedal has the center stainless emblem on it that says "Disc Brakes". Could this car have original front disc brakes? There is no booster, but the screw on type lidded master cylinder is much larger than what I typically see on other cars with drums up front. Any other ways to tell if original to this car? The other question is the glass is all tinted and says Sun-X on each piece of glass. There is no under dash air conditioning in place right now. Could the windows have been ordered without A/C? Is there another way to tell if it came with A/C besides looking for mounting holes underneath the dash? It was built in and has a DSO code of San Jose, rumored to be from Arizona about 10 years ago, so I don't know if tinted glass without A/C would be typical out west. It's in Illinois now and the winters haven't gotten to it too badly as of yet. BTW, found this car in a barn and it had been sitting for the last 10 years with lot's of bird droppings on it. Had to stop at the first car wash on the way home and drop $10 worth of quarters into it. After it was washed, I can see at least 5 other colors this car had been other than it's current burgungy. (Original color was Medium sage mettalic) The washing alone probably tripled it's value, what a site it was! Anyway, just curious to the brakes and tinted glass. Thanks for the time, it was a nice find and felt like sharing a little.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
According to this book I have, both Disc Brakes and Tinted Glass were available as opitions. Says only 7.3% recieved Tinted Glass and 6.7% Disc Brakes. I'd say those are two rare opitions on a 66.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Sure sounds like your car originally had the Deluxe Interior (Pony Interior). Therefore, the bright metal trim around the brake and accelerator pedals should be there as are part of this interior upgrade. They're correct for your car. And based on your description, I wouldn't be surprised if your car originally came with disk brakes. Although mostly found on GT cars, it's not unheardof on C-codes.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
I wonder if those percentages are accurate. Since all of the Ford data is gone, what did they use for research material?

Every Mustang I have owned had tinted glass. My current Mustang had both the tinted glass and the front disc brakes.

·
Registered
10,137 Posts
Doen't the car have disc brakes now? You have described a drum master cylinder when you say it has a screw on lid. Disc brake m/c's had a lid held on with 2 metal snaps. Someone could have very easily put on disc brake pedal cover. Disc brakes were not available with a power booster in 65 and 66.

As the other said sun-x was available as a stand alone option.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I'm not sure, This book is titled "standard catalog of MUSTANG 1964-2001". Done by Brad Bowling. Published by kpKRAUSE. It's very nice and just full of info and pictures.
Breaks each car down by year and model, all the options and codes. Also has the #1-#6 pricing guide in the back.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
If the radiator support has 1.25" holes on the D/S top and bottom (in the compound curve at the top, and near the edge of the recess at the bottom) then it had been drilled for a/C/ Also, an oblong hole in the firewall behind the D/S valve cover provided access for the hoses to the evaporator. Does it have a 2-groove waterpump pulley and a 3-groove Crank pulley?

As was Stated, Disk brake cars used a "clip-on" jelly jar MC,

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies fellas. The radiator support does have the holes as mentioned as does the driver's side firewall, so it did originally have A/C. The master cylinder does have the two clips as mentioned as well, my mistake on describing it as a screw on lid - that is what it looked like at first glance. It also has a pretty stout sway bar, so may have been ordered with the competition package as well - don't know for sure though, but definately larger diameter than most I have seen. I pulled the carpet back today and found the wiring harnesses for the console, so at one time it had one of those as well. All that remains for upgrades is the wood grain steering wheel and fold down seat assembly. will have the rest of the pony stuff I'm sure. I also got the engine to fire up and run for a little bit today. The past owner stated it was a 351W, but all my investigations point to it being a 1973 302 engine. Someone also stated on another forum that less than 5,000 Fast Back's were offered with the deluxe interior in 1966. If true, this should make someone a nice and worthwhile project. Thanks for the replies!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts