Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some trouble figuring out how to install my OE style fog light harness to a painless performance harness. Painless says to use the accessory relay section to hook it up, but it's not clear to me how to do that. Does anybody have any experience or input on this?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Look on page 28. If you haven't used you optional accessory relay in your fuse box it looks straight forward.
Attaching a park lamp input via a fog switch on the relay activation wire and the ground should be attached to the high beam circuit as it will shut off the fogs when high beams are on and provide a ground with low beam selected and fogs will turn back on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a novice on wiring. Can you be a little more specific on what to do? My biggest issue is the two plugs on the fog lamp switch harness. I dont really know what is going where.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
You are going to use part of your old harness. Find the old connection harness that fed the fog light switch and cut it long as possible. This may require untaping the harness. Next locate two of the 3 wires that have continuity (using an ohmmeter) with the switch in the on position and "OL" in the off position. Those two wires are going to be the park light pass thru to your relay. Did your harness kit come with extra terminal connector for the head light switch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A blue wire with a terminal, but I believe that it's supposed to connect to a circuit breaker. I think this step is not required with the accessory relay hookup

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Your accessory relay if not currently being used will be your new fog light relay. You are customizing a circuit at this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the blue wire with the ring terminal will now connect to the center post on the headlight switch?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Your going to be looking for the brown wire for the park lights at the head light switch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts