Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a 1966 Mustang 200. The car was originally a manual, but the original owner switched it to a 1972 C4 automatic. I recently purchased a neutral safety switch and wiring harness in order to get my backup lights working. Upon installing the switch, I noticed a slight problem. It appears that when they switched to an automatic transmission, they installed the manual lever that attaches to the gear linkage upside down, meaning it points upwards. This isn’t normally an issue, however, upon installing the neutral safety switch, (upside down due to the orientation of the lever) the lever is hitting the safety switch and preventing the transmission from moving into drive 1 and low. I am wondering if anyone knows a simple solution to fix this issue. I have considered using a dremel to cut out a portion of the lever, but am looking for a better option. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
919 Posts
You can disconnect the shift shaft inside the transmission and rotate it 180 degrees pointing down.

Drain and pull the trans pan, pull the spring roller assy that holds it in gear. Remove the outer nut holding the kick down lever on the outside of the transmission.

Then you can loosen and remove the nut on the inside of the shift shaft lever inside the transmission. Flip it 180 degrees and then reassemble everything.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the reply! When I rotate the lever, do I rotate just the piece on the outside of the transmission, or the entire assembly both inside and out?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Just the outside as your goal is to re orient the lever from up to down. The shaft has 2 flats machined in it where it fits inside the transmission so it can be flipped 180 degrees.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would I be able to remove the lever from inside without removing the valve body? It looks like there may be only a narrow passage when the valve body is still in place

1 - 7 of 7 Posts