Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I have a 1966 mustang with the original white seats. It’s been sitting before I purchased it so all the seats are super dirty an moldy, what should I clean this with. I was told purple power an a pressure washer but the seats foam will get all wet I feel that will do more harm then help. I’m willing to scrub them I just need to know with what? Thank you!

·
Dimples
5,659 Posts
Honestly, I would test a few different things on less-visible spots and see what works best for you.

·
Vendor
4,067 Posts
Even when clean, mold often leaves a permanent "stain", where the sheen/luster of the vinyl is different wherever the mold was. You'll find out after you clean whether or not it's hopeless. Mold also is usually hand-in-hand with rotten/rotting stitching, so don't be surprised if seams start to split with regular use.

Any household cleaner (Fantastic, Crud-Cutter) is fine to use, just rinse as best you can.

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
White distilled vinegar or an oxy / peroxide cleaner wiped on, scrubbed with a soft brush and wiped off may help, BUT if the foam is dark and moldy underneath the seats, they may stink and as above, the seams may start to split. Believe it or not, baby oil will help soften things up.

·
Premium Member
7,373 Posts
TEST ON HIDDEN AREAS

Also, be alert for age hardening. Dirt hides a lot of flaws, and a good scrub (yes, you can get the seats wet) might reveal enough to say, crud, looks good, but will never be good enough, and it is new upholstery time. The other factor is the foam underneath. 55 year old foam and upholstery could fall apart in a moment if they are used.

I would pull the seats, and look underneath to see what the story is.

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
Mix in the following proportions:

1 cup hydrogen peroxide.
1/2 cup Dawn dish soap (the Ultra one, not the cheap one).
1/4 cup Baking Soda.

·
Registered
1967 GT500
1,329 Posts
I was negligent in not using my 1969 Mach cobra jet one humid summer and left it in the dark storage area too long. I got green mold all over the black comfort weave front and back. I used a bleach/water mix. It cleaned it up great, no stains and the mold never came back.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I've washed seats with a garden hose nozzle and had them completely soaking wet including the foam. Do it on a hot dry day and night. The foam seems designed to dry quickly. Used microfiber to clean and soak up as much moisture as possible.

·
Registered
193 Posts
To get rid of the mold or mildew stains you can maybe try Wet and Forget....it gets mold and mildew off of vinyl siding without an issue. Like many people have said, try it on a small part of the seat and let it sit in the sun to see what happens. White is tough!! Good luck!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Mix in the following proportions:

1 cup hydrogen peroxide.
1/2 cup Dawn dish soap (the Ultra one, not the cheap one).
1/4 cup Baking Soda.
The above will definitely work, especially with the mix containing Dawn. I would put the solution on the seats, let sit for about 5 mins, work in the solution with a soft brush or micro fiber towel; use another micro fiber to dry. If there’s anything remaining, repeat the process.

Even though the seat upholstery is Vinyl, many Leather conditioning products will work to help keep the vinyl soft over time. Pour some on a micro fiber and work it into the upholstery.

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
Learned something awhile ago from the Corvette (Cough!) forums...and it works. Try Scrubbing Bubbles. It works. Get a can of it from Walmart. (You choose favorite scent..I use Original scent). Spray on seats, wait 10 minutes, wipe down...repeat as necessary, then when clean, just use soap and water to do a final wipe down...works everytime... It works especially great on Moldy seats...

Tony K.

·
Registered
36,471 Posts
Hey so I have a 1966 mustang with the original white seats. It’s been sitting before I purchased it so all the seats are super dirty an moldy, what should I clean this with.
You should know there was no white interior available in 1966. In 1965, there was a white interior. In 1966, this color was replaced with parchment. So, no matter how clean you get it, don't expect it to become white.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts