Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title suggests i have a 66 with a 88 5.0.... At the moment i have a non functioning Shelby style hood scoop. The question is is it even worth making the Scoop functioning since the car is no longer carborated? I was thinking of making a sort of duct from the scoop to the air intake on the 5.0 but i think there are easier ways to route cold air to the filter. Does the scoop help cool the engine? Bring in denser air to the engine bay?

Passing thought.. does anybody know where to get a Export Brace for the 66 that fits with the 5.0's upper manifold?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I dont see how opening the scoop would do anything for you. Its certainly not going to add any fizz.

Reactions: biggestdoughnut

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont see how opening the scoop would do anything for you. Its certainly not going to add any fizz.
Yeah i have heard that it is not really worth it, does it cause more drag since its non functioning? should i put a plug in it or is it fine how it is.
thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The Shelby scoop was semi functional at best
thanks for the link brother, def would have to repaint it when i get around to buying it the words are ugly...:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yeah i have heard that it is not really worth it, does it cause more drag since its non functioning? should i put a plug in it or is it fine how it is.
thanks.
No point in plugging it; it's already plugged since it's non-functional. Plugging it will only make more work for yourself. It probably does cause some extra drag, but it does look cool. :)

·
Registered
35,908 Posts
If open will push some additional cool air into the engine compartment....

·
Dimples
4,842 Posts
The scoop isn't really high enough to provide any ram air effect or extra drag. If anything, it's likely just providing exhaust for hot air at low speed. No reason to open it up or plug it in your application.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts