Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning Everyone. I have a 1966 Mustang, 289 with a 4spd Toploader with a hurst shifter. No matter what gear i put it in, my car wont move.It shifts perfectly fine into all the gears. I pulled the transmission out twice, put in a brand new pilot bearing and realigned everything. It has a new flywheel and a clutch plate/disc. Last night, I put the rear end up on jack stands and let the car run for a minute. When i had it in reverse, the wheels slowly turned (after waiting a min) but that was it. In some gears, when i let out the clutch pedal, it does make a noise but could be stuck?

The things i've tried, Put the car in gear with my foot on the clutch pedal and brake then started the car (nothing happened). Replaced the pilot bearing, checked the clutch fork and throwout bearing and made sure no oil was on the flywheel. Before installing the toploader, i opened the case and there's no missing teeth and everything looked good.

I had thought that maybe, when i put the emergency brake cable back on, i pulled the cable and engaging the emergency brakes. I'm going to check that tonight.

any other suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
875 Posts
When you had the trans out, did you shift through the gears and see if the input and output shafts both turned when the input shaft was rotated? Did this just happen or did it exist before you put in the transmisson? Is the driveline turning (or trying to turn)? Too little history to make a call.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the transmission from a repair shop and the claimed there was no issues. Yes on checking the input/output shafts. It tried turning when i had it in reverse but it took a good 30 secs before it did and only did a full rotation before it stopped.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Pull the axles and pull the pumpkin out of the rear end. I had similar symptoms once and it turned out that a tooth broke off the ring gear and got stuck in or locked the gear mesh. I wasn't abusing the car or anything. Drove normally and great in the morning, came home, then when I went to leave a couple hours later the car would NOT move.

Or first, disconnect the driveshaft from the transmission and see if you can turn it to rotate the back wheels. If you can, then the issue is not in your rear end.

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
Sounds to me like the clutch is not engaging and only did so briefly once when there was no resistance with the wheels off the ground.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ill try the rear end rotation. That's my thoughts at first too @myfirstcar66 no clue why it's not engaging. Suggestions? I'm home now from work so trying everything.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I had a 3 speed toploader with a leaky tailshaft seal. When it got low enough I would lose 3rd gear, take a hard corner and splash the remaining oil around a bit and it would come back for awhile, never understood why. Filled it up with gear oil and worked fine.

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
^^^ that sounds like something was getting hot, seizing up and the clutch was slipping to get by.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
Determine if it is actually in gear. Rear wheels off the ground. Engine off. Put the trans in each gear, and try to rotate the driveshaft with your hands while in gear. Also try in neutral. Get back to us.

·
Premium Member
6,904 Posts
A lot of variables, and there is something significant.

Is the trans still in the car?

Is so, put it in neutral, use high quality jack stands, and raise the rear end off the ground.

Can you turn the rear wheels, do they turn the same way, is there resistance?

Now, put the trans in gear, any gear is fine/

Can you still turn the rear wheels by hand?

This will start to isolate is it transmission to engine, or driveshaft to wheels.

Assuming rear wheels turn in neutral, and won't turn in gear, try putting in in gear and turning the engine by hand (breaker bar)

Do the rear wheels turn? Is there resistance?

Depending on what you find, with the wheels up, clutch in, start the engine, and GRADUALLY let out the clutch. Do the rear wheels turn immediately?

All this should take about 15 minutes or so.

Answers will tell us a lot as to what is going on.

Standard trans set ups do not take "time" to engage. If it was an automatic, it might be low on fluid or such, but not a standard.

It could be your clutch is not engaging (time delay) that eventually enough contact is made to get motion south of the clutch.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Has the current clutch been used to drive the vehicle around?

I've seen where the disc doesn't make contact with the input shaft...the shaft just spins: though I gotta admit it does make the transmission go in easy enough though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just wanted to thank everyone for giving me some ideas to try. I put the rear wheels up on Jack Stands and put the car in gear. I can easily rotate the tires without much resistance. The wheels act like their in neutral no matter what gear i put it in. I've notice when i make a rotation with the tires, theirs like a quick grinding noise from the end of the transmission. I added more fluids and nothing.
When i start the car and put it into gear, it does catch but only for one rotation and that's it. Same when i put it in reverse. Only does it once and no more.

Deep down i think that maybe something in the transmission is bad or worse broken.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Is the clutch disc facing the correct direction?
Seen that happen before 64,-1/2, the springs go toward the flywheel. Sounds like that is his problem. OP says " It has a new flywheel and a clutch plate/disc."

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
I just wanted to thank everyone for giving me some ideas to try. I put the rear wheels up on Jack Stands and put the car in gear. I can easily rotate the tires without much resistance. The wheels act like their in neutral no matter what gear i put it in. I've notice when i make a rotation with the tires, theirs like a quick grinding noise from the end of the transmission. I added more fluids and nothing.
When i start the car and put it into gear, it does catch but only for one rotation and that's it. Same when i put it in reverse. Only does it once and no more.

Deep down i think that maybe something in the transmission is bad or worse broken.
You do know that the amount of fluid, or even complete lack of fluid, makes no difference to whether a manual transmission is mechanically connected, right?

With a conventional rear axle, rotating the rear tires is quite easy, that's what it supposed to do. Get under the car, and turn the driveshaft with your hands, engine off, transmission in gear.

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts

Was the drive shaft turning when you turned the wheels? I think you have broken spider gears....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@22GT @Redneckgearhead Correct,the car was in gear and i was moving the driveshaft by hand and the tires were moving. The more and more i read these, it sounds like something in the toploader. Makes me think how much i paid and trusted this repair shop for this transmission.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry i shouldve mentioned, the clutch disc is facing the correct way. I made sure of that. Probably the only thing i did right.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts