Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Has the current clutch been used to drive the vehicle around?

I've seen where the disc doesn't make contact with the input shaft...the shaft just spins: though I gotta admit it does make the transmission go in easy enough though.
No on the clutch been used to drive the vehicle. I had thought of this too but the transmission was a bitch to get in so brushed that idea off.

·
Registered
848 Posts
sorry i shouldve mentioned, the clutch disc is facing the correct way. I made sure of that. Probably the only thing i did right.
That's only one possible issue with the clutch. Is the pressure plate actually clamping down on the disc so that the flywheel is 'locked' to the transmission input shaft?
Maybe drop the clutch inspection plate (not familiar with the SB version) and have someone turn the rear wheels or driveshaft with the transmission in gear and see if the clutch disc is rotating.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That's only one possible issue with the clutch. Is the pressure plate actually clamping down on the disc so that the flywheel is 'locked' to the transmission input shaft?
Maybe drop the clutch inspection plate (not familiar with the SB version) and have someone turn the rear wheels or driveshaft with the transmission in gear and see if the clutch disc is rotating.
This may be a stupid question but should the clutch disc move freely after installing the pressure plate? Dont know why i feel it should. Mine didnt.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
This may be a stupid question but should the clutch disc move freely after installing the pressure plate? Dont know why i feel it should. Mine didnt.
no it should be clamped tight between flywheel and pressure plate. When you step on clutch pedal it pushes on the fingers of pressure plate, and releases clutch disc to allow it to spin freely of engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
no it should be clamped tight between flywheel and pressure plate. When you step on clutch pedal it pushes on the fingers of pressure plate, and releases clutch disc to allow it to spin freely of engine.
Thanks! Thats what i assumed. So i'm slowly crossing out things. Guess today i need to pull the tranny out.

·
Premium Member
11,477 Posts
Do you have a clutch disc with the correct spline size and tooth count? The "standard" toploader is 1-1/16" diameter with 10 splines. Some heavy duty toploaders such as the 428CJ and 429CJ had a larger diameter input shaft with 26 splines. If you got a 26 spline clutch disc mixed with a 10 spline input shaft the splines on the input shaft are not engaged with the splines in the clutch disc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Do you have a clutch disc with the correct spline size and tooth count? The "standard" toploader is 1-1/16" diameter with 10 splines. Some heavy duty toploaders such as the 428CJ and 429CJ had a larger diameter input shaft with 26 splines. If you got a 26 spline clutch disc mixed with a 10 spline input shaft the splines on the input shaft are not engaged with the splines in the clutch disc.
I plan on checking everything tonight after i have a good cry with taking this tranny out for the 3rd time.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
If the driveshaft is not turning when in gear, then it has to be the trans or clutch. Sounds like the rear end is fine. If it was the clutch you wouldn't be able to get it in gear. I'm voting for something bad in the trans.

·
Registered
65 Mustang GT
114 Posts
OP stated he turned the driveshaft by hand and the rear wheels turned so that rules out the rear end. He also stated he checked the input and output shafts although he didn't clarify how. If that was done correctly then the only other option would be a clutch problem.

Before I put in my used T5 I turned the input shaft and shifted through all the gears to make sure the slip yoke was turning properly. OP, is that what you meant when you answered yes to the input and output shafts? If so that pretty much rules out the tranny.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I plan on checking everything tonight after i have a good cry with taking this tranny out for the 3rd time.
It could be the throw out bearing is hung up on front extension housing keeping the clutch disengaged. Did the tranny slide in easily to the bell housing or did you pull it in with the bolts? How does the clutch pedal feel when you push it ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It could be the throw out bearing is hung up on frount extension housing keeping the clutch disengaged. Did the tranny slide in easily to the bell housing or did you pull it in with the bolts?
The tranny did slide in easy once i was able to line it up. The last 1/2 of inch i pulled it in with bolts.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The tranny did slide in easy once i was able to line it up. The last 1/2 of inch i pulled it in with bolts
That last half inch is typically the input shaft not lining up with the pilot bushing. Pulling it in with the bolts can bind the input shaft against the pilot bushing causing not to mention breaking off one of the ears of the transmission. I suppose you could have damaged the input shaft or the bushing using the bolts that’s causing your problems.

When you have the trans out of the car, make sure to look at the pilot bushing / bearing and check for damage. Also do as the others have said and run it through the gears and try turning the input shaft by hand checking to make sure the tail shaft splines are turning.

By the way a trick to getting the last half inch to slide in is to hook up the clutch linkage and have someone step on the pedal while you shove in the trans.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
UPDATE it only took me an hour to get the transmission out with the help of my wife. After getting it on the work bench and checking the gears, everything looked good. So i decided to put the drive shaft on and see what happened. Whelp, turns out the Yoke is the wrong one and wasn't grabbing the splines. Or, it is the right one and the output shaft is worn down. Guess i have splines to count later.

UPDATE turns out i have a 25 spline (HEH-P) Toploader.....never would have guessed. The yoke i have is a 28 Spline.

Just wanted to say Thank you for all that helped. Such a great community and it's helped me a lot! i owe everyone!

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,753 Posts
Probably be a good idea to replace that pilot bushing too since you forced the input shaft in with the bolts on the last install. Also make sure its topped up with gear oil. I had mine rebuilt but didn't realize the shop didn't put any in until I had it installed. Thankfully I only ran it to the end of my driveway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Probably be a good idea to replace that pilot bushing too since you forced the input shaft in with the bolts on the last install. Also make sure its topped up with gear oil. I had mine rebuilt but didn't realize the shop didn't put any in until I had it installed. Thankfully I only ran it to the end of my driveway.
That's the plan. I have no motivation on doing this again.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Be sure to double check the splines on your output shaft for wear. It they were hitting the old, you may have damaged the ends (making a new yoke difficult to engage).

·
Registered
564 Posts
You lucked out, distance has nothing to do with it. If the clutch isn't pushed the internals in the transmission are spinning.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts