Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my Fl. YOM plate. Just under $50 total and a week and a half wait and it is on the car.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the plate from a local collector for $30. Sent that into Tallahassee based on cost and info from the local DMV. They said the cost there would be $21.60. Sent a check with the plate about 1.5 weeks ago. Got the plate back today. So simple to get the states blessing on it being a real plate. You don't want to clean the plate one bit before sending it in.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Aw Pete! I didn't know your car was a 6 cyl. "D" on a FL. plate in 66 was for a 6 cyl. No letter would have sufficed for a V-8 Mustang, W for a Galaxie sized car and WW for a Cadillac, etc.

Still have the 64D plate off my 66 6 cyl. Mustang. 64 was Collier County, Dade Co. was 1, Broward was 10, etc. Not that it makes any difference today! Looks good.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Nice plates! You are going to have to change you name to FlPete. :yoho:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as the letter, it is a weight class. This is what I found stated in several locations....

Through 1975 base plates, Florida still classified passenger cars by weight class.
Up to 2,500 lbs, no letter follows the county code number. The one beginning with 18 above was issued in Lee County
2,501 to 3,500 lbs used a D, The one beginning with 10 above was issued in Broward County
3,501 to 4,500 used a W. The one beginning with 7 above was issued in Orange County.
4,501 and above used a WW (both stacked and side by side). The one with the 10 was issued in Broward County.

I have also found info that switches the D and no letter around. Funny though nothing indicates 6 cyl lol Pulling my chain just won't get a rise...

I have used AzPete for so long, I doubt I could remember any other moniker.

·
Registered
431 Posts
yelostang said:
64 was Collier County, Dade Co. was 1, Broward was 10, etc. Not that it makes any difference today!
Georgia also numbered their counties on their plates in the 60's. When I bought my plate, I found a good deal on a 119 plate. 119 was Stewart County, and my last name is Stewart, so I thought it to be a good match. Had I not found the Stewart, I woulda kept looking for a Cobb county plate (My current county).

The plate looks great on the car, Pete. I really love YOM plates.

Steve

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.

I looked for a clean county plate from where I am but they were all pretty rusty. I decided to just get a good, clean plate. This site gives a good layout of Fl. plates, http://www.floridaplates.com/codes/index.html . It shows my plate from Hendry County down south and a weight limit of up to 2500 lbs of which neither make a difference anymore.

I just like having a clean, vintage plate.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Pete,
The plate looks very nice but the State made you put that new sticker on it!

Now I'm wondering if I'll have to do the same here in MD. Sorta defeats the process.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes they did. The reasoning for that is this is now the only plate registered to my car. Some states require you to keep the normal plate in the car and the YOM is more of a nice thing. Florida says they need to know when it expires. Since it is in the registered owners birth month, everyone is different. Az. was the same way on their YOM plates.

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
AzPete said:
I bought the plate from a local collector for $30. Sent that into Tallahassee based on cost and info from the local DMV. They said the cost there would be $21.60. Sent a check with the plate about 1.5 weeks ago. Got the plate back today. So simple to get the states blessing on it being a real plate. You don't want to clean the plate one bit before sending it in.
Hey Pete, what was the $21.60 for?? Don't clean it so they know it's not a repro? Did you get yours from the guy with the link?.Thank's, Dale

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 21.60 is partially for running a custom plate(12 I think) and some for the state to "bless" it. Yea, if there has been any cleaning or repairs done to the plate, they may think it is a fake. Once approved, you can then clean it pretty good. As for my contact, he had one with to much rust. He located mine thru another of his collector buddies. He had three of which I took one. My contact should be able to hook you up with one. PM me if you want his e-mail.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What.....you got confused at which state you live in????? lol

·
Registered
893 Posts
I see the vintage Florida plates all the time here at the car shows and the flea markets. The Mustang show they have in Pinellas Park every year has a 3 day flea market and there's 3 or 4 different guys selling the plates. All different colors and most of them look like they're brand new and run $25.-$30. I had thought about getting one for my 66 but decided against it because you're limited to what you could transfer the plate to if you change cars.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The transfer snag is true. I just got tired of all the "Antique" ones on so many local cars. I didn't feel like a vanity plate, so....what the heck, here I am. I guess all my old cars will have to be '66 now.......

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
AzPete said:
I didn't feel like a vanity plate, so....what the heck, here I am. I guess all my old cars will have to be '66 now.......
Not a Bad problem to have, Huh Pete. ;)

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea, it does make life easy.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Pete, I got my plate last year, but I haven't sent it up to Talahassee yet.

What did you send the plate in? , And What did it come back in?? I'm a little nervous sending it just in a regular license plate envelope.

Tony K.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts