Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my powersteering pump is bolted to the bracket the pulley on the crankshaft and the waterpump is not in line with the p/s pulley. If I want to get it right I have to move the pump almost 1/2" to the firewall! I have tried 3 pumps, all the same. Only thing I can think of is a wrong p/s pulley. Can't find any markings on it except for a 6.
What could be wrong?

Pictures:

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
i would look at how the bracket is mounted at the head which your pictures dont show as the pully mounting ect look stock. Wes

·
Registered
196 Posts
Morning
Is it possible that the mounting bracket is backwards. That way the the pump would go back about 1/2 or so toward the firewall. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I thought the dual sheave water pump pulley was only used in 65 with power steering and or AC. The op's setup looks the same as my 65 other than I'm using the aluminum no backing plate water pump and timing cover. I did notice that it's possible the pulley might not be all the way seated but maybe it's just the picture angle?

·
Registered
94 Posts
One of the things that I love/hate/enjoy/despise about my '66 is that everything is a problem solving endeavor. This is one of those!! I looked at my set up, which is all stock. Stock 289, stock water pump, stock '65 style p/s pump, stock pulleys, etc. Looks like yours. Here's a photo. The p/s pulley looks like it might be closer in than yours. But how it all lines up in a photo is based on the exact angle of the camera so rather than saying for sure, here are some measurements of my set up and maybe by comparing to yours, it may help.

1. p/s pump width from front face to back face: 4-5/32"
2. front edge of p/s mounting bracket to back lip of p/s pulley:
3. pump stub length: 1-9/16
4. front face of p/s pump to back lip of p/s pulley: 1-9/16 (so looking straight down the back side of the pulley, it lines up exactly with the front of the snub) 5/8
5. gap from inside of p/s pulley to end of stub: 1/8
6. I also held a straight edge to the front lip of the pump mounting bracket, where it bolts to the top bolt of the pump, and the straight edge lines up with the back edge of the water pump pulley

Hope that helps!
Bill

IMG_5424.jpg

Reactions: Nailbender
1 - 6 of 6 Posts