Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1966, 289 4 bbl (edelbrock intake and carb), t5 with kit... So basically my question is.. It has been running great. One day it randomly shuts off after hitting a bump.. starts right back up though (and i really don't think the bump had anything to do with it). Drive it all the time and now at least once every other trip out it just randomly dies. Sometimes when I give it regular gas, sometimes when I'm just sitting at a light, sometimes when I'm babying the throttle, sometimes ANY time! I've timed it correctly and checked the carb system and everything appears normal. All the wires appear to be connecting good too. It's not a bogging type quit either.. it's literally just like someone pulled the plug.. any tips? Can't seem to figure it out.. thanks

shut off / stop / shake / dies / kill /

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Check the basics... Bad dist. rotor, cap or condenser... Clogging fuel tank line...May need to check the fuel sender or tank for clogs. Coil or Voltage regulator going bad.., Stuck float valve in carb, Just to name a few..

Tony K.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Definitely an electrical problem. As stated, check ALL connections, even those behind the dash. See if you can simulate the problem by simply jiggling wires while the car is sitting, idling.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Do you have a drop in electronic ign.? like Pertronix, crane, etc.?
Jon

·
Registered
526 Posts
I had a similar issue last summer. I would be driving down the road, tach would drop to zero and the car would quickly die. Sometimes it would restart before I came to a complete stop. I turned out to be the starter solenoid grounding internally at the stator post. I didn't trace the problem until it quit completly. Good luck.

Rich

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I had issues the first year I was running my coupe. After trying a few things I was looking at the coil being a problem, it ended up being a bad wire at the connector going on the coil. It hasn't missed a beat since. Just something else to look at.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i know what it is dude listen to this **** man i had the same problem. I had a bad alternator and it wouldnt charge very well but it would charge. the thing is that it would ride perfectly but then after about 2-3 minutes my voltage would go from 12 volts down to about 9.5 volts and you wont believe what would happen next when i would hit the BRAKE the car would die i was like what the hell. Then boom within 3 seconds it hits me **** i need at least 8.5 volts for my coil in order to fire my engine, and i was like i have plenty of voltage for that i have 9.5 but i notice at the same that i realized why it starts to miss then will die i put together that that when you put on the breaks the brake lights come on and i get a drop of about 1 volts so i would get break lights but no fire. so i replaced the alternator and voltage regulator and it does not happen any more. and i noticed all of this because i have a sun pro volt meter gauge inside.

ok how can i see that this is probubly your problem from your post well first you say that you went over a bump and i am pretty sure you saw it and i am pretty sure that your car is a automatic so what is the first thing you do is get on the break and it dies. (the thing with mine is that it is a manual and i can drive it around town without ever touching the break) and you said the car works perfectly for a while which is also a symptom of this problem because it takes a while for you voltage to drop far enough to accualy die. and of corse everything is going to check out fine just like you said. HOWEVER what threw me for a loop is that your car started back up mine never did unless it was jumped, so i dont think your problem is the alternator or voltage regulator i think you have a short/ unwanted resistance in your break light circuit so i would check that out. let me know/ private message me what you think. Thanks

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
1966, 289 4 bbl (edelbrock intake and carb), t5 with kit... So basically my question is.. It has been running great. One day it randomly shuts off after hitting a bump.. starts right back up though (and i really don't think the bump had anything to do with it). Drive it all the time and now at least once every other trip out it just randomly dies. Sometimes when I give it regular gas, sometimes when I'm just sitting at a light, sometimes when I'm babying the throttle, sometimes ANY time! I've timed it correctly and checked the carb system and everything appears normal. All the wires appear to be connecting good too. It's not a bogging type quit either.. it's literally just like someone pulled the plug.. any tips? Can't seem to figure it out.. thanks

shut off / stop / shake / dies / kill /
Hi,
First, the basics.
Points, (if any) set correctly
Timing adjusted to specs
Curb idle set correctly and the mix adjusted using a vac gauge.

Next, in this order:
Pull the fuel inlet off the carb and check the screen for debris. Finding debris Yes/No?
Pull the fuel sending unit and check the pick-up sock for debris.
Finally, pull the top off the Eddy and check the bowl for debris.
If all of this is clean, or reasonably so,
We'll assume you don't have an electric fuel pump(?)

Suspect electrical..
Voltage to the coil, loose/bad connection to the "I" side of the solenoid etc.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Starter Solenoid going bad, fusible link starting to burn through, header/exhaust burning through starter cable and shorting momentarily at times, bad ground, bad condensor (if still running points)

partially plugged fuel line/filter but would genrally not stop like an electrical fault.

If the car's entire electrical system momentarily shuts down, check the fusible link and change the starter solenoid

1 - 12 of 12 Posts