Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 289 Coupe and want to replace the rear leaf spring.
To my best guess it is original to the car, the standard four leaf.
Currently, my ride height measuring from the ground to the bottom of the fender on the driver side is 26 1/8" and the passenger side is 26 3/8".
Yes, there is some sag and leaning going on, so you understand the need for replacement.
The wheels and tires I am running, if it helps, are 17x8 245/45s.
I want to try and keep the same ride height as possible; not any lower and no more than 1/2" higher.
What type of spring setup should I get?
4 leaf standard like what I already have would bring up my ride some because of the sag?
4 or 5 leaf with mid eye would probably keep the same ride height or a little lower?
Any help would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
How much power do you have? Is wheel hop currently a problem? If so you need 4.5 or 5 leaf.

Ride height is a personal preference. I personally like stock because the ride of one of these cars is from the tires and springs and lowered springs really deteriorate the ride.

I would put in a stock or mideye height 4.5 leaf spring because of your low profile tires.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I've got 28" on 4 leaf (new) with 245/50 on 16's if that helps. They've been on the car for about 2-3 years (mostly in the garage, maybe 750 miles) so I think they've settled. I'm going mid eye very soon to level with the front (1" drop)

Actually... If you think they are right for you I'd sell them for a good price!

·
Registered
18 Posts
take your original leafs to a shop and have them re-arc the spring. the guy who did my springs told me the original springs are much better than the after market springs. its also cheaper.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone happen to know the original ride height of a 65/66 with either a stock or GT 4 leaf spring?
If I knew this, I could pretty much figure out what I need.
I am afraid that stock 4 leaf will raise the rear too much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts