Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran across this video on YouTube tonight. Didn't watch the whole thing as it's getting late, but thought I'd post it here for all of us folks to check out:

·
Registered
308 Posts
At the end of the video, the "expert" was asked the cost of getting it back to looking like a car. He stated $35 to $40 thousand...Now 4 years ago I helped with the final finishing on the restoration of Shelby #319. At that point the owner had over 200K in it and it was in 1000% better shape....so not sure where this guy is getting his pricing.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
At the end of the video, the "expert" was asked the cost of getting it back to looking like a car. He stated $35 to $40 thousand...Now 4 years ago I helped with the final finishing on the restoration of Shelby #319. At that point the owner had over 200K in it and it was in 1000% better shape....so not sure where this guy is getting his pricing.
Making it look like a car isn't the same as finishing it?

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
I'm going to say it's akin to restoring my '65 Tiger.... Brake booster-$1,000, correct air cleaner- $750, Dash panel trim - $1,200.... and those are used prices! If this guy were using all repop pieces with no reguard for date codes, originality, etc- maybe $35-$40k, but he's not. If he's going so far as to save the radiator center for the date code and weld on used reconditioned sides- $35-$40K just isn't in the ballpark to resore it. I agree with Bsolo66- he's going to be in it a LOT more than what he said...

·
Registered
175 Posts
@bsolo66 - with your experience, do you think they are referencing only the body work? Not running gear, interior etc...

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
I hope they are not shaking these folks down. IF they go time and materials, that 35-40k could be the lets set the hook and milk for 5 years to 200k or reposession for work done. I bet dimes to dollars that is not a fixed fee restoration. what usually happens is it sits in teh back till work is slow and takes a lot longer than it was ever bid.

Be fun if someone local got the owners to start a build thread adn periodically post photos so we can see just how honest this shop is and perhaps help keep them honest since there is a wide distribution of Mustang potential customers here...

IF they met their price, that could be hella advertising...

Hope those folks are treated right...

·
Registered
351 Posts
This is interesting. They say they're going to replace just about every piece of the unibody, doors, and body panels. Somehow, replacing the entire body piece by piece is different than a rebody.

How does that work anyway? You weld on replacement parts to an original part that is known to be bad, then cut out and replace this bad original part that you just welded to, repeat until every piece has been replaced?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Check out the comments on the actual youtube page. Quite interesting. my favorite:

Spike9803 8 hours ago

Am I the only one that sees a garage (filled with crap) 10 feet away from an all original, one owner, 1966 Shelby GT350 with less than 64,000 miles, and the car is left out side in the dirt for 41 years?! This is the original owners that did this, they bought the car brand new; they KNEW what it was! Incredible, absolutely incredible... a $100,000.00+ mistake! Build a new garage for $10k back when the car was first left outside, store the car out of the weather and today your would have a $25,000. garage and a mint, original, low miles, 1966 Shelby GT350 worth $150,000.+ Something is very wrong in this family; it's very likely mental illness. In 41 years at least 100 people have offered to help push this car into that garage, let alone buy it! Get a ground tarp and a car tent for the love of God. Meanwhile the Huffy bicycles and the Sears lawn mower are nice and dry; go figure!? There is a story here with this car that the re-builders are not telling us. When they see what a restoration will cost the owners will likely take $25k for the relic and walk away. They have never been good custodians of this vehicle.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The attitude of the guy who will be doing the body restoration seems to be that the car is 'a Mustang with some Shelby stuff bolted on'.

·
Registered
308 Posts
"ginpunk", my part in helping came in towards the end of the restoration. However, I was at the shop many times during the almost 2 year restoration looking for parts for my 66FB including the day they stripped it down to just a body shell. Plus they were good friends of mine. We had many discussions about the car; who bought it, where it was going when finished and of course how much. Turns out a lot of time (billable time) was spent finding original useable parts. Since in the video they don't really know by just looking at it what is actually restorable, I have no idea what he meant by getting it "looking like a car".

·
Registered
683 Posts
The attitude of the guy who will be doing the body restoration seems to be that the car is 'a Mustang with some Shelby stuff bolted on'.
The video are made by Jerry Heasley and those people in the video are serious Mustang/Shelby guys. A GT350/500 is basically an assembly line Mustang that have been modified with some specific Shelby parts. At first it was done at Shelby, but later it was all handled by Ford.
This car is in a pretty bad condition and there will be little of the of the original car left when restored. All the original stuff are still there, but everyting is bad.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
773 Posts
So sad, one of my dream cars. Family knew what they had and still let it deteriorate like that. Pretty sure fixing it up just to sell. Hopefully the next owners will treat that piece of history better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts