Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
I really liked this video. I got the impression these are very good people coming together to retrieve and restore a family heirloom. And the guy talking about the car seems to actually know something about restoration. This is the complete inverse of most car TV shows where some arrogant arse pops off with a bunch of completely false, random facts then brags about all the aftermarket parts he's going to throw at it make it "right".

Yeah, who knows why the owners left it parked outside in Rustville, Ohio. One would think a person with enough foresite to buy factory replacement parts would know not to leave it in the weather. But there it is. Whatcha gonna do?

And the reality is ANY '66 Shelby is worth restoring. Those cars just fetch stupid money all the time. And not only is this a family heirloom, it has all it's original Shelby bits along with the factory K-Code 289. As one guy pointed out, it's amazing nobody stole that stuff years ago.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
3,963 Posts
I saw an article a while ago about some $3 million Ferrari GTO or some such. The owner offered the journalist a chance to drive it, and the journalist hesitated, asking what if I do something stupid and total it? The owner just replied that "it's impossible to total a $3 million car." If needed, you could buy replacement parts of recreate almost anything on a 3D printer a la Jay Leno, and rebuild it. No longer original of course, but could be done for less than the insured price.
Same kind of reasoning here. Most or all of the early Shelby's are worth more than cost of restoring them now unless you go Thoroughbred Concours or similar.

·
Premium Member
10,315 Posts
Why do they say "original owner bought it new". Wasn't Hertz Rent-A-Car the original owner who bought it new?

21 - 23 of 23 Posts