Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys check this out.. I have a 66 stang with an 88 t5 and transmission kit.. 289 4bbl etcetc.. I have some weird starter problem.. it's grinding!!!! I have 3 shims in it as well (because it wasn't engaging when I put the kit in). Now.. One day I get home and notice a small oil pan gasket leak (no problem). I get a new rubber gasket and obviously i have to take the starter off and part of the steering linkage to get to the pan. Change it out, put the steering linkage on, put the starter on, and now its grinding!! first off, the teeth are not worn on the flywheel, nor the starter. NOTHING WAS MOVED besides starter being taken off and put on.. I have up to 5 shims (ridiculous i know) but I was just making sure that it wasn't just barely grabbing before.. my question is what the heck happened and how do i fix this asap!!! The guy at my auto parts store I've been dealing with says the starter is fine!.. PLEASE HELP!!!.. this starter was originally on the 3 speed but when i checked it out it was the same as the 88 version and what gets me is that it was working perfectly before... 157 tooth flywheel and the bellhousing for it

1 - 1 of 1 Posts