Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to remove a column on the 1966 fb
the brace under the dash is loose. Is there a clip between the steering box and the column or what? :chainsaw:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
There is a rubber plug on the end of the column that isolates the steering shaft from the steering column tube. That is probably the resistance you are feeling. I ended up getting a strap wrench and putting it on the tube near the steering box and turning it to get it loose. Then the tube should slide right off.

By the way, if you don't have a strap wrench, a pipe wrench will work.

·
Premium Member
7,376 Posts
Agree with 2c1965, and add 3 things.

1) I twist the column, like a lid, and wiggle, and find it comes off easier, especially clearing the rubber gasket at the bottom.

2) Little spring and nut type parts that come loose are hard to replace, make sure you get all of them and do not loose them.

3) Bare steering shaft is greasy and has eyes to find the gap in your ribs. After removing the column, clean the shaft, and put the steering wheel back on loosely.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
2c65 is right, use a thick screwdriver or pry type bar to pop the base off of the steering box! Easy Job. and if I am not mistaken that bearing that comes out with the column should be taken good care of, I do not think you can buy it if you lose it and without it the steering wheel will have a ton of play and would not be enjoyable to drive..LOL.
Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts