Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 1966 Scott Drake styled steel wheels and trim rings. In 2020 I picked up a set of 4 original KH styled steel wheels without the trim rings. The wheels are in pretty good, albeit used condition, but will need to be cleaned up and painted.. The wheels are decent, and will need some cleaning up. The white specs in the wheels are the shredded paper packing. The paint is actually in very good shape and there are some marks and scratches on the chrome. The wheels don't appear to have any dings or curb rash.

I have an opportunity to finally get the matching trim rings at a reasonable price, but they have some wear on them. I have attached a picture of one at the worst part of the trim ring. Are these like stainless that can be cleaned up, or are they more chrome and would need to be re-chromed? And I would need to add another 300-600 or so for re-chroming?. I have seen NOS ones every once and a while for 100-125 each, I would expect they to have some imperfections. The other option would be just to by a set of repos, but if the wheels were original, would like to stay the same with the trims. So I hope the original used rings can been cleaned up/restored and hoping someone has had success doing it and could share their experience.

Thank you
Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
I had a set in similar condition. I used a buffer attachment on my drill from harbor freight and some rouge. It cleaned them up very well. For deep scratches I used a very fine sandpaper and lightly went over them. Forgot the grit I used though. Either way, start with the buffing, it’s the least invasive

·
Registered
540 Posts
I had a set in similar condition. I used a buffer attachment on my drill from harbor freight and some rouge. It cleaned them up very well. For deep scratches I used a very fine sandpaper and lightly went over them. Forgot the grit I used though. Either way, start with the buffing, it’s the least invasive
Actually, I got it from Eastwood. Here’s the link

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
I polished some small places on mine with 0000 steel wool then polishing powder. Got a set of 5 originals, had to strip and paint the inserts, but that original chrome and stainless makes most modern stuff look like Fisher-Price and Little Tikes.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Light
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Light

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks great, the quality of the older material feels so much better. Nice looking wheels. Was able to source a set of NOS caps also. So a little elbow grease and as suggested and some happy wheels.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Fastback C code, 4spd Toploader
33 Posts
I just picked up an original set of styled steel wheels. They do need cleanup, and I'm going to try Quick-Glo chrome cleaner and rust remover on a recommendation. If it's worth it, I'll post back some pics as soon as I see results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts