Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all VMF users, i am hoping that someone is out there who can help me out with a question i have with regards to sunroofs in a 1966 GT coupe.
I have been informed that this is neither a factory or a dealer option for this car. And is actually a modifcation to this car.
But i have also read books over the years to suggest that this may have indeed been a factory and possible a delaer option.
So now you know the reason for my question---- can somebody please set the record straight or inform me where i may be able to find further information out about this extra.

I am able to supply a picture of the car in question to people who are able to advise, unfortunately i am unable to post it with this question.

Any advise given would be greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Several years ago I heard there was some discussion between Ford and ASC in the 60's about adding sunroofs as an option at the dealer level and there were rumors that a couple of prototypes were made, but that was never proven (at least not that I heard about) and in my opinion the GT you mentioned was most likely modified by a PO.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rickmaan.
Thanks for the quick reply, not knowing the original owners mods to the car i could tend to agree with you.
The book in question which i don't have a copy of at present is "mustang Does it" page 128 and is quoted to be a rare factory option.
To me the car is very much original in accesories and options and doesn't provide me with any dramas. It seals doesn't leek and looks amazing and certainly gets people talking.
Whether it be original or aftermarket is not a major concern to me. it still like the car and will continue to enjoy the opportunity of folding the roof back on a nice day.
The question put forward was to answer the difference of opinions between the mustang family. One person has cleverly stated that ford dealer would not void a warranty on a brand new car but installing this so called as a dealer option.

My mind still is settled on the matter.
I appreciate your response. Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi outlawinc, as luck would have it I was just reading a letter about this today. "Mustang Monthly" August 1993.
Someone had aquired a 66 GT with a sunroof and was asking about originality. Here is the response:- "The sunroof was not an option from the factory and was not listed in the 65 - 67 accessory catalog as an option. However, some dealers offered the sunroof as a dealer add-on. The Mustang sunroof was offered to the dealer by an aftermarket manufacturer of T-Bird sunroofs, which were popular in the mid- 60s. The sunroofs were not made by Ford, so no Ford part numbers appeared on the individual components."
Hope this is of some help.
nassi

·
7,008 Posts
One person has cleverly stated that ford dealer would not void a warranty on a brand new car but installing this so called as a dealer option.
Installing a sunroof would not void the factory warranty on anything.

Phil

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
One way to help you uncover the truth is to carefully examine the top and its parts. Is it a cloth fold back type or is it a metal sliding type? I would think that if it was a metal slid back type it would be interesting to see if it is the same make/manufacturer as the Cougar sunroofs. The individual parts of the sunroof will have manufaturer info on them that should help untangle your mystery. Please let us all know what youy find.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
I know that I have seen a 67 fastback with a "factory" sunroof. Ok, you know the factory did not do this. The car was from California, so, it was likely sent from the dealer to the SRC company. The fellow who owned it was a former Ford engineer. He said it used a lot of Lincoln hardware.
It was a metal hatch type that cranked down and rearward.
Any all glass type is from the 70's. This car might have also been sent to the src company, but who knows?
Thw 67' car was sold, the last time a saw it, it was a 9.00 second drag car, go figure.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
the same company that did the sunroofs on the t-birds and 67-70 cougars also made the "kit" for the mustangs. the name of the company was ASC (american sunroof company) and these were (supposedly) all dealer added on the mustangs, at one time i was researching the options that were available as of now for my 70 cougar that i was going to build for my wife, unfortunately i no longer have the car or much of the information i gathered on the sunroof option. but i can tell you that were many more mustangs that came with the sunroof "option" than most people think, the earliest mustang i have ever seen documented with a sunroof was a 66 which leads me to beleive the "option" was not available in 65 but only after 65. i am pretty sure that all of the mustangs that had the sunroof were either dealer installed or sent from ford to ASC for the conversion and then sent to the dealer, ASC installing the sunroof seems to be the most likely option, since all of the cougars and t-birds were actually sent to ASC for the sunroof conversion. you might do some research on your own on google and yahoo and see what you can come up with. my bet is the car was ordered from the dealer and sent directly from ford to ASC and then to the dealer. is the sunroof in your car power or manual? that may be a big clue as well. if it is power i would say it is far more likely that is was actually sent to ASC. also if it is a power sunroof it should have a relay under the hood somewhere, usually near the starter solenoid. good luck and i would like to see pics of it if possible, i'm always interested in strange "options". if you do try to do an internet search, try seraching for 67 cougar xr7-g or dan gurney special as that was where i remember getting most of my information, you might also check out www.trinitysmustangs.com, eric has a page on his site about unusual options for 69-70 stangs and i think he had some "factory" sunroof cars in there as well. good luck, you can email me pics of yours at you can email me at [email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts