Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, sorry for the Houdini, I was busy enough with my first job, but I just got a job at a restoration shop that specializes in Mustangs. :D But the one area of help I need, they have never dealt with.

I found the problem with my Rally-Pac's Tach. My Pertronix Ignitor blew fried the transformer in it. The only problem is-finding a suitable 3 coil replacement transformer. I can fix it myself if I find the part.

And before anybody says contact Gary "The Tachman". I did right after the tach stopped working and he quoted $350 to fix it. I can't afford that between repairing the Mustang (slid on ice and hit the quarter and rear bumper off my house) and helping support my family because my parents were laid off and I have 2 younger brothers.

Thanks guys, Michael. :)

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
"My Pertronix Ignitor blew fried the transformer in it."

People should know that they can't use these with original tachs! Only Scott Drake's version of repro tach only. It can't be used with the Oval industries Repro tach either, Again, Only the Scott Drake Repro tachs.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Odd, but I installed a Pertronics in my '66 aver 10 years ago. I have an original rally pac that was restored by Tachman and have had no problem. Sometimes the clock does not start when the battery has been disconnected. When it does start it keeps good time.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NE, I've read and found that as long as you install it correctly you can run pertronix and an orginal tach. You have to wire it so that the pertronix gets a 12v feed BEFORE the tach. Mine didn't, so it was totally my fault.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
farmer, what were you going to post? All you have is a quote from my post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts