Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand and size of tires were on the factory 66 mustang, either coupe or gt?

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
The general concensus is that Firestone Deluxe Champions were used in 1965 and 1966 since original photos and documentation exists showing their use and are(have been)found on original super low mile cars. The tire size would have been Bias-Ply 6.95x14 either black sidewall or white side walls (white wall tires). Optional tires would have been Bias-Ply 6.95x14 Dual Redline tires which were optional, but came standard on the GT cars. When Firestone Deluxe champions were not available, Goodyear Power cushion tires of the day of the same size were usually substituted. I would like to believe that U.S. Royal (today known as Uniroyal)tires of the day were also used, but I have never seen any documentation proving that...I would like to see it turn up someday if it exists.

The 60's (6.95x14) size of the day translates to P185 75 R14 in today's Steel Belted tire sizes, though I think that IMHO is closer to P195 75 R14.

You can find vintage Bias tires sold online at:

http://www.cokertire.com/

http://www.universaltire.com/

My collector cars all run on Firestone FR380 P215 75 R14 tires. If you are looking for a modern tire white wall with a stock look. They are the ones to go with.. Hands down. I love them!

For wider tire '69 to '73 cars.. BF Goodrich Radial T/A's are the way to go...They look good on just about anything.. BF Goodrich even has a "classic" series now sold only at special dealers that are also really nice.. They are sold at the above links that I posted above.

Alot of people ride on the BF Goodrich "Classic" series tires below at most shows I have found..

http://www.universaltire.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=25185&category_id=325

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 Convertible
MCA#70001

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
:thumbsup: Firestone FR380s. Just a couple added comments. These are availible in
a large range of sizes and are very low cost.

·
Registered
9,041 Posts

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
Yeah Slim, I can't say enough about the FR380's... You can't beat it for the stock looks, low cost, and you're getting a great modern tire..

Tony Kovar
MCA#70001

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help.

I came across a Goodyear Power Streak II size E78-14 with the white stripe among my old mustang tires and rims while trying to clean the garage. It appears to be a spare that was never riden on, since the nubs are still there on the tread.

I wonder if there is a chance this is an original tire, and if so, what it might be worth.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
awhip said:
I came across a Goodyear Power Streak II size E78-14
I wonder if there is a chance this is an original tire.
It wouldn't be original for a 65/66.
The E78x14 size wasn't available until about 1970,
maybe a year or two earlier.

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
"The E78x14 size wasn't available until about 1970,maybe a year or two earlier."

+1

My thought exactly also. That's correct.

Tony Kovar
MCA#70001

·
Registered
787 Posts
BF Goodrich may have been the way to go 50 years ago. But in my experience I have personally had bad results with BF Ta radials and the like. Most of the other users also agree, with the facts.

But all of them buy the tires for the looks not the performance.

I found the tires to be sloppy on the road. Very soft and low mileage. Damage easily and have poor wet weather performance.

Could'nt get any worse. Thats my two bits.

The general concensus is that Firestone Deluxe Champions were used in 1965 and 1966 since original photos and documentation exists showing their use and are(have been)found on original super low mile cars. The tire size would have been Bias-Ply 6.95x14 either black sidewall or white side walls (white wall tires). Optional tires would have been Bias-Ply 6.95x14 Dual Redline tires which were optional, but came standard on the GT cars. When Firestone Deluxe champions were not available, Goodyear Power cushion tires of the day of the same size were usually substituted. I would like to believe that U.S. Royal (today known as Uniroyal)tires of the day were also used, but I have never seen any documentation proving that...I would like to see it turn up someday if it exists.

The 60's (6.95x14) size of the day translates to P185 75 R14 in today's Steel Belted tire sizes, though I think that IMHO is closer to P195 75 R14.

Coker Tire - Buy Vintage Tires and Wheels

http://www.universaltire.com/

My collector cars all run on Firestone FR380 P215 75 R14 tires. If you are looking for a modern tire white wall with a stock look. They are the ones to go with.. Hands down. I love them!

For wider tire '69 to '73 cars.. BF Goodrich Radial T/A's are the way to go...They look good on just about anything.. BF Goodrich even has a "classic" series now sold only at special dealers that are also really nice.. They are sold at the above links that I posted above.

Alot of people ride on the BF Goodrich "Classic" series tires below at most shows I have found..

http://www.universaltire.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=25185&category_id=325

Tony Kovar
MCA#70001

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Since it came up the Firestone FR380 is no longer available. I run FR 380 P205 75 R14s on my 68. I think they're great but I'm an old foggy that just drives my 68.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Home | Coker Tire

Universal Vintage Tire

Universal Vintage Tire

Tony Kovar
MCA#70001

Would these tires look correct on a 1966 fastback ? I know 14s would look more accurate, but I already have 15 inch rims.(currently have 205/70/R15 Hankook tires that look ok, but are very old).

firestone-721-radial-lr78-15-ww.75_1.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts