Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'66 vert, working on installing AC...
I have a new condenser/drier, a Sanden compressor with mounting plate and adapter, and a used underdash Ford AC evaporator (see 2 pics).
I dismantled the evaporator (excellent rebuiilding info on YouTube at
) and followed their instructions, including cleaning, flushing, etc.
I haven't mounted the evap unit yet.

1) How critical is the type of expansion valve? I want to replace the expansion valve that is on the evaporator (see attached pic of old exp valve), but the prices vary widely from about $12 to about $80. Is this a REALLY critical piece, or can I just use the $12 item from EBay although it does not look exactly the same shape as the original
(EBay item is https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Expans...177773&hash=item1a8b157194:g:N5cAAOSw9~5ZVsDf) (picture also attached).

2) According to the internet, the underdash evaporator for a 1966 had a centrally-exiting set of hoses, chrome vents, built-in "coin tray", and a black wrinkle ("camera-finish" for guys who remember the SLR Nikons, Olympus, Leicas, etc) front piece (see attached pic of a 1966 unit). Obviously, mine has side-exiting hoses, gold vents, no built-on coin tray (it's a separate piece that gets screwed on top of the front piece), and a smooth silver front piece. I could not find any date stamp on or inside my evap housing.
  • Would the side-exiting, no attached coin tray, etc, features make my evaporator a 1965 unit? ...or did Ford have several versions of the underdash evaps, used with different car models?
  • Were there any Ford evap units with gold vents, or did someone along the way paint these? (BTW, the gold finish is very good, without peeling or cracking or betraying an amateur intervention.)
  • Is a "coin tray" an important part of the cosmetics? Is there going to be a gap that this tray covers up?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
I can't say for sure about the expansion valve. Maybe different from r12 vs r134a due to pressures. I can say the type of evaporator case is correct for a factory AC 65, or dealer-installed for 66-68 under dash AC. I have one just like it in one 66 and a factory type with camera case in another 66. The gold-looking finish on the vents is likely because the plasticized chrome has come off, or started to and a previous owner finished the job or sprayed them.

Reactions: baloo

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Following the Ebay link you provided, I used the "compatibility tool" for the '65 and '66 models. This part is not compatible with the '65, but is with the '66. If yours is the earlier version, you may have to keep looking. NPD also sells the vents to replace the gold ones in your unit.

Reactions: baloo

·
Registered
954 Posts
I restored my '65's Factory under dash unit about two years ago and went through all the documentation and photos I could find. I noticed that a few '66 cars had 65 units underneath as they were installed by the dealers and may have just been leftover stock. While not 'correct'. it is what it is! They are a bit different.

It looks you do indeed have a '65 unit. The tell tale is the side exit of the hoses.

'65 cars has silver face plates not camera case. The vents on the front are chromed plastic. None came gold. When the original chrome wears off they do have a yellowish look.There is a difference between the two years in style of those vents too. The Coin tray does indeed cover up the top of the case on the '65 and is correct for it (looks a bit odd without). I bought a new expansion valve for my setup from Original Air. One of the other locals with AC had bad luck with a new 'eBay' leaky one so I spent the extra $$. BE careful, there are two different style expansion valves. I found that out the hard way. Went to hook up the hoses and they would not fit.

Make sure the wiring in there is in good shape. They tend to get quite brittle and I don't believe anyone is reproducing them. Also be very careful with the tabs on the actual housing as they also get brittle and are a huge pain to fix.

I also used some model paints and a paint pen and redid the FORD emblem. Looks great now!

Here is a before.

Here is the face plate after I polished the chrome, repainted the face and added new vents and the repainted emblem

Finally, with it hanging in the car.

If you need any other photos or have any questions, let me know!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the excellent input.
Rowdy - great pix, and thanks for the great advice. You unit looks great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts