Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys new form member purchased a 66 coupe that had a Unisteer 8000870-01 manual rack with the outer tie rod's attached but none of the other install parts were in the boxes . contacted Unisteer on this older version and they are unable to tell me what I need. does anybody have this particular unit on their mustang or an original install manual for it that lists the parts required?
Any help would be much appreciated.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,590 Posts
Well... they should be able to tell you what you need. Some of the techs there are better than others, so if I were you I'd call around until you found someone useful. I believe that when I was doing my rack, Brian was the fellow to talk to.

I have a power rack but for basic parts you should need a steering shaft, column bearing, two U-joints, a DD shaft, and the steering column braces. I would imagine that you should be able to acquire all those parts as used for the newer version of the manual rack and use that on your car because the DD shaft can be lengthened/shortened to get the right geometry. However, the best option would be to find the person at Unisteer who can actually tell you. They should be able to as it's one of their products... doesn't matter how old it is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I thought as well. I placed several emails to different individuals and phone calls and finally got a guy to do a little digging but that is where the we don't have anything in our database or instruction manuals still around. I will check and see if Brian is still around Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts