Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the deal:

Pulled my upper control arms off. Each of the ball joints had four small bolts on them which kept
the ball joint in... I assume they were replaced before, since they weren't rivited. Each ball joint
also had a little connector to allow grease to be added in. This little connector went through a
hole in the side of the arm's assembly. about 3/4 in across I'd suspect.

I got my new ball joints for the control arms. First thing I noticed, the ball joint doesn't have a
place to put the little grease connector on. I received a connector with each joint, but no "screw
in hole" like the tie rod ends have. Secondly, the whole in the control arm is WAY too huge for the
little connector to screw into. So that kinda takes away from it going there and then filling that area
(and the little rubber cup below the joint) with grease...

So what do I do? Drill a small hole in the ball joint and screw the thing on? Don't put it in period?
What do I do about that hole? Leave it open? Fill it? Weld it shut?

I'm putting all this together this weekend, so I'm trying to figure this out. Of course, the ball
joints didn't come with any instructions, and my little book for Mustang repairs is kinda sparce on
the subject.

Rich

Rich
----
'66, 302-4bbl, Granada disk brakes, etc, etc...

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
So you're saying there is a hole in the ball joint but its too big for the grease zerts they gave you? If so, then just get the right size zert. If there's no hole at all then I'd send 'em back.

Black primer 66 coupe, bench seat, 68 302-2V, C-4, 3.55 TSD
879 posts as "66 bench-coupe" on old VMF
robert94928 on Yahoo Messenger

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Interesting. When I purchased PST upper control arms for my 70, I had to drill out the rivited ball joints and install the slim profile ball joints from ProMotorsports, using 4 bolts, as per your set-up. I recall there was a small hole in the ball joint and I screwed in the zerk fitting into the ball joint assembly. As for the control arm shafts, the hole in each end of the shaft was the correct size to screw in a zerk fittings I had. I suggest screwing in 90 degree zerk fittings at the ends of the shaft before you install the control arm. That way you can get to them with a grease gun without having to drill a hole in the shock tower and come at them that way. I'm not too sure what "hole" you are describing as being too big. Is it at the end of the shafts? Is it possible the zerk fittings you have are for the ball joints and you need to purchase other zerk fittings for the control arms shafts? good luck.

sure it's fun, but it's only a car.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hole is on the side of the round area where the ball joint would reside on the Upper Control Arm.
It doesn't look like it was drilled out, it looks like it was there before. This whole is where the "zerk" would
protrude through. Out of the arm, not out of the ball joint.

The ball joint itself does not have a screw in area for a "zerk". I'm wondering if I have to make one, or just
not put a "zerk" on it? Is it zerk, or zert? My mind is kinda numb today... Iowa State lost last night. *sob*

I'll go to my www site and see if I can find a picture or two.

Rich
----

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Some aftermarket ball joints have the zert, or zerk, on the bottom plate that holds the ball joint in. The replacement arm for my 71 Ranchero had one there.

BTW, I was curious whether its called a zert or a zerk. I think zerk is right but neither word is in my dictionary or the online dictionary I looked through. It must have been a name brand at one time or another. Anyone know the origin of this word?

Black primer 66 coupe, bench seat, 68 302-2V, C-4, 3.55 TSD
879 posts as "66 bench-coupe" on old VMF
robert94928 on Yahoo Messenger

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will check on that backing plate of the ball joint. The hole that I speak of is on the main
body of the upper control arm. It is where the old 90 angle zerk/zert went through if
I'm not mistaken. It's on the round area on the front of the control arm.

I'm just wondering how I should fill it, since I figure it'll cause trouble with dirt getting into
it.

Couldn't find a good picture of the hole..

Rich
----

G

·
0 Posts
My 67 is the same as what you have, the hole on the side of the "bubble" to give access to the grease zerk. My replacement ball joint had the zerk on the bottom. I wouldn't bother filling that hole in.

It's a zerk, http://inpro.www5.50megs.com/grease.html

Adrien.

65 GT Coupe all dismantled waiting for resto.
67 Restomod Coupe all sheet metal done, next is assy.
69 Mach 1, SWMBO say don't you dare take it apart!
91 5.0 LX HB, daily driver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts