Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title states with the 302 currently in the car and nothing special done to mitigate heat, I’m looking for ideas to bring temps down to manageable and cut the over heating problem. I’m running the stock 66 radiator with 6 blade fan 1” from radiator, but clearly the setup can’t keep up.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Fasty, I'm wondering if the stock radiator is full of crap, and if the waterpump impellor blades are corroded away,......I would check things like that first. WHEN do you feel it is running warmer than you would like ? LSG

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I run a similar setup (replacement '66 radiator and '73 302) with no cooling issues. My fastback is a factory AC car and has the 3 row copper/brass core and a fan shroud. I also run a 6 blade clutch fan with an original style shroud. It has an "over the counter" water pump and 195* thermostat. I run a 50/50 coolant mixture with a 13lb cap and coolant recovery bottle.
With everything clean and/or flushed, your cooling ststem should be able to "keep up".

·
Registered
35,492 Posts
I run a similar setup (replacement '66 radiator and '73 302) with no cooling issues. My fastback is a factory AC car and has the 3 row copper/brass core and a fan shroud. I also run a 6 blade clutch fan with an original style shroud. It has an "over the counter" water pump and 195* thermostat. I run a 50/50 coolant mixture with a 13lb cap and coolant recovery bottle.
With everything clean and/or flushed, your cooling ststem should be able to "keep up".
This is probably the best way to go. First, of course, be sure you actually have a problem. The "TEMP" sender in particular has a poor reputation, if it has ever been replaced.

·
Registered
35,477 Posts
Step 1 - Make sure the "system" is in good condition. I'd perform a "Mercedes Douche" citrus-based flush on the system followed by a new 195*F thermostat and fill with 50/50 premixed coolant. Test and replace the radiator cap, if needed. Make sure all hoses are in good condition. If the flush doesn't remove all the mineral scale from the radiator repeat it.

Step 2 - Connect vacuum advance to a full manifold vacuum source. Use as much spark advance as the engine will tolerate without "pinging". That will reduce heat load.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the radiator is a new ACP 3 row copper brass core for a 66 like Rhutt has. Also replaced with a new fail safe 195* thermostat, and she still overheats sitting at idle? I haven’t checked the water pump though not sure how old or new? Do these old school water pumps have a weep hole, so when it’s bad you know?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Here you go!

Reactions: LSG

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is your shroud a low profile? Was the fan and shroud purchased for a 66 or the year of your engine? Is the shroud low profile?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The shroud and associated parts were purchased using '66 specs. The shroud is the correct OE style part used in '66 and is rather narrow.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I did the citric acid flush to the ‘71 302 in my 66 car and that solved my heat issues. Blew a lot of red water out of there so I did it twice. Afterward I put some window screen mesh in the upper radiator hose to catch any larger chunks, after a few weeksI removed it. Four years later still no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When installing the thermostatic fan clutch, will it also work with spacers to get it closer to the radiator?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts