Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. New to the forum and I was hoping to get some feedback on an issue I'm having with a recently acquired 1966 w/ 289. When the key is turned off and the car is sitting idle, there is a single clicking noise about once every minute which seems like it's coming from behind the dash. I checked and there is about a 6 amp draw on the battery when this happens and then returns to about 1 amp. The clicking noise sounds similar to flasher unit functioning. I 'm thinking that it could be the CVR behind the dash? The reason I think that it's the CVR is because the fuel, amp and oil pressure gauges are not operating. I've ordered a new CVR and waiting for it to arrive before I pull the dash. Am I going in the right direction? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
The clock winder on a rally pac makes a click noise every minute or so.
Are you saying you have a 1 amp draw at all times with the key off? You gots a problem somewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks but the click noise comes from behind the dash not the clock on Rally Pac. When it clicks, the draw is about 6 amps.

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
The Rally Pac should click when the clock winds down and the contact points inside it close and force the rewind. Maybe try disconnecting that just to see if the problem is not WITHIN the clock, but TIMED by it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The clock winder on a rally pac makes a click noise every minute or so.
Are you saying you have a 1 amp draw at all times with the key off? You gots a problem somewhere.
I just checked again and it looks like the clicking noise might be coming from the clock on rally pac. My error. Thanks

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I'd try disconnecting your sender units (one at a time) to see if one is going to a dead short. Or check to see if it's a 4-way flasher relay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts