Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting a restore looking for some tips. Pony is real clean in and out. Runs good, but what is the engine compression on a 289. Where is a good place to buy parts I live in Miss. just south of Memphis.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Get some mail order catalogs: National Parts Depot(NPD), Mustangs Unlimited, Mustangs Plus, etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Get a 66 Ford shop repair manual. These are available at all the parts houses and you will find this to be an invaluable tool as you work on this car.

Scott

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
The static compression on a "C" code 289 is 9.3
You "should" be able to run 87 octane with on that with a proper tune.

NPD is my favorite parts supplier in the non-performance catagory :winkgrin:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Congrats! You're in for a lot of fun. We're here in Louisiana and have been fixing up our '66 coupe for 3 years now (just a little here and there). My advise is:
1) Try it yourself before paying someone to do it (most things on the stang you can't really hurt.
2) Parts for stangs are relatively cheap so buy the best ones you can find. (I've found Johns' Mustang in Houston to be a good resource as well as Texas Mustangs, Dallas Mustangs,and NPD).
3) Use this forum for advise - many wise men (and women) out here willing to help.
4) Get involved in a local mustang club - priceless connections there.
5) Enjoy - and don't get in a hurry.
Merry Christmas,
marshal

·
Registered
82 Posts
After using another supplier for over 20 years, I found NPD. I couldn't be happier with them. Great inventory, I found some really hard to locate parts through them. Fast delivery and reasonable prices. You will have a blast restoring your 66. Take your time and don't be afraid to ask questions. There is nothing like showing off a car you restored yourself. Just think of all of the war stories you will have to tell. :lol:

·
Registered
562 Posts
The best advise I can give has already been said: Take your time, do 1 job at a time (if possible) and enjoy yourself. Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts