Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1967 1968 Mustang Fuel Nozzle Adapter

The 67 and 68 mustang Gas Filler nozzle is in a great position for filling from either left hand or right hand pump. However, the car bumper interferes with evaporation emission control gas pump nozzles. You have to turn the gas pump nozzle sideways to clear the bumper, keeping it pressed against the filler tube of the car with your knee and barely crack the nozzle lever to avoid gas seeping out the nozzle sensor hole. Even then the gas tends to drip on the ground while filling.

I came up with a very simple five dollar solution using a 1 1/2" inside diameter sink drain tube.

Home Depot SKU 1000-041-603

The "custom" adapter is brass chrome plated instead of plastic to prevent chafing of plasting chunks into the gas tank. Be sure to remove the UPC sticker with LiftOff or GooGone. The gas filler nozzle can now sit straight and set to the lowest setting of the fuel lock. No more having to hold tightly at an angle! Due to the fill nozzle sitting a it further out it will spit after topped off.

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
Awesome Idea

I have a hinged GT cap, and my fuel fill-ups are even more challenging than tanks that use a removable cap. I am going to try this idea on my next fill-up!!! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Please post your results once you try the adapter. This way, to get the word out by bumping this Thread every so often. Not sure if the 69-70 Mustangs have this same issue; the 65 and 66 Mustang bumper clears the gas pump nozzle without need of an adapter. The early Camaros also an issue with the filler neck sitting low behind the license plate; will have to be a slightly smaller 1 1/4 inch tube.

ANYONE know how to Edit my first post? perhaps a Moderator can help? I have some spelling errors and updates to add.

I forgot to mention the flare is faced outward to help seal the vapor collector of the gas pump nozzle. Due to the bend of the gas filler tube inside the trunk of the Mustang, the part listed at my original post fits just perfect shoved all the way in. Gas will NOT seep out between the adapter and filler tube if the gas pump is lock levered to the lowest setting. The Mustang can now be filled hands off, but keep one hand on the nozzle to catch it once topped off.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks for the post! The few times I have actually been able to fill up my 68 have been a pain in the butt. Will definitely be trying this when I get my car back. So do you just keep that tube in the trunk when you're not getting gas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the post! The few times I have actually been able to fill up my 68 have been a pain in the butt. Will definitely be trying this when I get my car back. So do you just keep that tube in the trunk when you're not getting gas?
I keep the tube right in the trunk, easy to get to since you have to go to the back of the car anyways to fuel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have a hinged GT cap, and my fuel fill-ups are even more challenging than tanks that use a removable cap. I am going to try this idea on my next fill-up!!! Thanks for sharing!
I picked up a spare tube for my buddy who has a 67 Mustang with the hinge cap. That cap drops down and really should swivel upwards so not in the way. Looks like the pump nozzle will clear the hinge cap if the tube is not inserted as far, but then topping off might cause more backflow at the end.

·
Premium Member
5,793 Posts
I'm gonna get me one. It solves the nozzle angle issue, allows quicker fill-ups, eliminates the jerry can hassle that some endure, and no "splash-back" problems if you are paying close attention too. I like this idea. It's only $5 and can be kept in a zippered bag right in the trunk. Thumbs up for CRTGAMER.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm gonna get me one. It solves the nozzle angle issue, allows quicker fill-ups, eliminates the jerry can hassle that some endure, and no "splash-back" problems if you are paying close attention too. I like this idea. It's only $5 and can be kept in a zippered bag right in the trunk. Thumbs up for CRTGAMER.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks. I keep the tube out in the open (after shaking off gas) on the trunk floor next to the filler tube. If placed in a bag, the adapter might not fully dry out.

1. Anyone else have success in using an adapter?

2. 69-70 Mustang owners, does the gas pump nozzle clear the bumper?

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I was going to try the baffle in the fuel filler mad, but decided to try something else. When I built my FFR Cobra, I originally used a Fox Mustang tank and filler and never had a problem. I later installed a Fuel Safe cell and still used the Fox type filler neck, but had to cut out most of the partition in the filler neck to fit the fuel cell. My fires fill up was almost a disaster, fuel would bubble back on me unless I fueled at the lowest setting. I believe it was because there was not a vent to allow air to escape as it was being displaced by the fuel. On this build I decided to try a different approach, I spot welded in a 1/2" piece of stainless steel tubing along the inside of the filler tube to allow air to escape. I haven't tried it yet, and if it doesn't work I can always try the baffle, but it is much easier to weld in the tube than fit a baffle.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
There's a guy over on the StangFix forum who will install a "baffle" into your filler tube to solve this problem. Or, you could just copy what he does. It's really straightforward, but does take some work.

·
Premium Member
5,793 Posts
I was going to try the baffle in the fuel filler mad, but decided to try something else. When I built my FFR Cobra, I originally used a Fox Mustang tank and filler and never had a problem. I later installed a Fuel Safe cell and still used the Fox type filler neck, but had to cut out most of the partition in the filler neck to fit the fuel cell. My fires fill up was almost a disaster, fuel would bubble back on me unless I fueled at the lowest setting. I believe it was because there was not a vent to allow air to escape as it was being displaced by the fuel. On this build I decided to try a different approach, I spot welded in a 1/2" piece of stainless steel tubing along the inside of the filler tube to allow air to escape. I haven't tried it yet, and if it doesn't work I can always try the baffle, but it is much easier to weld in the tube than fit a baffle.
Even if that solves the spitting/overflow issue(and it may not), I do not believe it gets you past the bumper interference/angle problem.
You're still looking at a long slow fill?
I like the easy and cheap way out on this one, just $5 and done.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Oop I posted the wrong number in the post at the very top. You can see the correct number in the picture which I included below. CAN A MODERATOR EDIT THE OP WITH THE CORRECT NUMBER?

Home Depot SKU 1000-049-603

Even if that solves the spitting/overflow issue(and it may not), I do not believe it gets you past the bumper interference/angle problem.
You're still looking at a long slow fill?

I like the easy and cheap way out on this one, just $5 and done.
Agree, I don't think adding that air bleed at the top of the filler inlet is the solution. The gas pump filler has a sensor for auto shut off that works best when positioned correctly; impossible without some sort of extension on 67-68 Mustangs due to the bumper interference.

I am interested in comments for anyone else who has actually tried the "Home Depot" sink tube. Also, for 69-70 Mustang owners, if the bumper interference (regular cap) is an issue.

I picked up a spare tube for my buddy who has a 67 Mustang with the hinge cap. That cap drops down and really should swivel upwards so not in the way. Looks like the pump nozzle will clear the hinge cap if the tube is not inserted as far, but then topping off might cause more backflow at the end.
A followup, by buddy who has the GT flip down cap on his 68 mentioned the filler does work with just a spit back at the end. The tube does have to stick out just a bit further so the gas pump nozzle can be set with handle facing correctly downwards.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, I'm revisiting an older post/thread, but I just had to share. I have a '67 coupe with a pop-open fuel cap, along with an upgraded 22 gallon fuel tank, and I couldn't hardly get it fueled without making a mess. I'm more than an hour away from a Home Depot, so I went to the local True Value to see if they have something similar, which they did for $7.00. I'm glad to say it works great. I do have to have the nozzle pointed down I the 4:00 position, but I can leave it there on slow without it dripping. Yea! Thanks for the idea!! :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Please post your results once you try the adapter. This way, to get the word out by bumping this Thread every so often. Not sure if the 69-70 Mustangs have this same issue; the 65 and 66 Mustang bumper clears the gas pump nozzle without need of an adapter. The early Camaros also an issue with the filler neck sitting low behind the license plate; will have to be a slightly smaller 1 1/4 inch tube.

ANYONE know how to Edit my first post? perhaps a Moderator can help? I have some spelling errors and updates to add.

I forgot to mention the flare is faced outward to help seal the vapor collector of the gas pump nozzle. Due to the bend of the gas filler tube inside the trunk of the Mustang, the part listed at my original post fits just perfect shoved all the way in. Gas will NOT seep out between the adapter and filler tube if the gas pump is lock levered to the lowest setting. The Mustang can now be filled hands off, but keep one hand on the nozzle to catch it once topped off.
2020 update this post deserves to be bumped again!

Holy Lord this thread just made my life a lot easier. I went to Home Despot and they looked up that SKU even though it’s 5 years later no problem. #1000049603

I got it (the metal) but also got a plastic equivalent with a flare. Tried just the plastic one first and it was gold! Pump nozzle sat right inside and now I can pump much closer to a normal fill rate with no spillage. No slamming in the nozzle ring either. Even if it does drip it will drip to ground past the bumper as long as tank isn’t overfilled.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts