Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -- I'm new to the forum. I know a little bit about old mustangs but not a lot. I just bought a '67 390 4-spd convertible on BaT. This site won't let me post a link, but you can go to that site and search the most recently sold 1967 390 convertible (dark moss green with white rocker stripes -- sold for $35.5K). I would like to please know what aspects of this car are incorrect, and whether it would be cost-effective to make them correct. For example, I know the gas cap is incorrect because the car is not a factory GT, but I don't know what the factory gas cap looked like (the car had the exterior décor group option, so I know it was a flip-open cap). I also believe the steering wheel and perhaps the Hurst shift handle are incorrect, as well as the larger wheels and multiple aspects of the engine bay. Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable input.

·
Registered
35,492 Posts
This site certainly will allow posting links.

There were quite a few 67 390 Mustangs that were not GTs. The exterior decor gas cap (pop-off) was identical on both, but the GT had a "GT" emblem while the non-GT had a "running horse" emblem. Likewise, the standard twist-off caps had such emblems.

No 67 Mustang had a Hurst anything, shifter or otherwise.

The 67 Mustang had chrome-like aluminum rocker trim, but only the GT had a stripe. Any 67 Mustang could have had a painted pinstripe along the top edge of the sides. Rarely seen today, as it disappears when the car is repainted.

A 67 non-GT Mustang would have had a "running horse" emblem marked "390", and individual letters spelling "MUSTANG" on each fender.

There were two steering wheels in 67, the standard wheel was color-keyed plastic, and the optional was "woograin" rim, with chrome spokes.

The standard wheels on 67 390 Mustangs were larger than those on others, 14x6. Even the styled steel wheels were 14x5.5.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

There were quite a few 67 390 Mustangs that were not GTs. The exterior decor gas cap (pop-off) was identical on both, but the GT had a "GT" emblem while the non-GT had a "running horse" emblem. Likewise, the standard twist-off caps had such emblems.

The 67 Mustang had chrome-like aluminum rocker trim, but only the GT had a stripe. Any 67 Mustang could have had a painted pinstripe along the top edge of the sides. Rarely seen today, as it disappears when the car is repainted.

A 67 non-GT Mustang would have had a "running horse" emblem marked "390", and individual letters spelling "MUSTANG" on each fender.

There were two steering wheels in 67, the standard wheel was color-keyed plastic, and the optional was "woograin" rim, with chrome spokes.

The standard wheels on 67 390 Mustangs were larger than those on others, 14x6. Even the styled steel wheels were 14x5.5.

T

@22GT -- Thanks for your reply. Here's a link to the car I purchased: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-ford-mustang-54/ VMF did not allow the link in my initial post.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
All great points by 22GT .... and he hadn't seen the Marti. The stripe was an option and is shown on the Marti report.
The Style Steel wheels are incorrect, as the Marti doesn't list them. Only Wide Oval, got the 6" rim, that was the consensus when I asked the question on the Concours Forum.

·
Registered
35,492 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Here's a link to the car I purchased: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-ford-mustang-54/ VMF did not allow the link in my initial post.
OK, here's what I'm seeing.

First, it's a darn nice car, and left as-is will give you years of fun driving.
  • The wheels are aftermarket 15x7, and have 65-66 center caps, not the very distinctive 67 caps. The car came with the plain 14x6 steel wheels, and standard wheelcovers.
  • The white side racing stripes are bogus.
  • You actually are supposed to have the rare 3/32" white stripe along the top edge of the body side. Very rare option.
  • The Steering wheel is a cheap POS, you are supposed to have the optional "wood" wheel. Fortunately, a nice repro is available. Bring money, though, it costs about 4x as much as the junk you have.
  • The Hurst shifter is of course wrong. Get a rebuilt OEM T-bar shifter from Bill Heely.
  • The Deluxe Seat Belts are gone, what you have is Scott Drake replacements. These can be purchased, but will be quite expensive.
  • All that carpeting in the trunk is bogus. No telling what it hides, the trunk should be body color.
  • The exhaust system is completely wrong, but can be corrected.
  • Those traction slapper bars have got to go. Kept tight enough to work, they'll make the car ride badly. Loosen them, and they'll bang like the car is falling apart. A 4-speed 390 needs something, I'd install Traction Masters. Real ones, not repros.
  • I don't know what to say about the rear discs. Probably work well, but wasted money on a street driver.
  • The extended shackles are a problem. They will degrade handling of the rear end, mess with the pinion angle, and are unsightly. Perhaps the rear springs are sagging. That's not how to fix them.
  • The radio and speakers probably sound nice, but of course are not original.
  • The air cleaner is totally wrong for a non-GT 67 390. The engine is a 390GT, but since the car is not a GT, should not have a chrome air cleaner, just a chrome lid. This always confuses people.
  • You appear to have an Edelbrock carburetor. It should be a unique factory-installed Holley 1850.
  • The chrome export brace is a low-quality item, but better than the standard arms. I would ditch it and get the quality Drake black export brace.
  • The billet pulleys and Delco PS pump look out of place. Perhaps it has Borgeson PS.
  • The aluminum radiator is quite wrong, but probably works well.
  • The overflow bottle is not stock.
Non-GT 390 air cleaner-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whoa! Now that's a detailed list. Thank you very much for taking the time to put that together. I'll have to prioritize these factors based on (in no particular order) ride/looks/cost/net resale value. What would be your first 3 or 4 corrections if you owned the car? Also, is this the correct gas cap for this car (since exterior décor group includes flip-open cap):

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
...and the fender bolts(or maybe not) but at least they aren't painted like the door strikers:) So maybe painted fenders off. The greens are tricky and change so much in pics but i'm leaning towards it being too bright-almost like its the '66 color.

Nice combo, have you checked to make sure the LSD is there?(I miss the "burnout" emoji)
Lets hope it wasn't rushed too much for a profit.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
While researching for my non GT, no smog 67 390, I came across some pics of a 14000 mile no smog car. Your DSO 51, Denver, was also a no smog car.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Very nice car. The only observation I have is about the tach. Shouldn't it be a 8K tach?
The only Mustangs to get the 8k tach in 67 were those equipped with the K code 289 and Shelby's

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Noting only a 67 390 4 spd got a 6k tach as stock. (Not sure about non GT).
Otherwise a separate option for the rest.
I gotta go look up OP's car pics.
Pic of my interior, 67 factory 390 GT. Note under dash temp gauge not orig & deluxe seat belts. Does have a factory am/fm radio

Attachments

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
I think 22GT has got you covered. The rear suspension and steering wheel are the only things I would touch initially. It is a beautiful car and looks like you got a hell of a deal if there are no major hidden rust issues.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Don't see any rear seat belts. Never seen a fender VIN cut out on pass side. Paint line "cowl firewall to fender apron" wrong. For conv the windshield washer pump pedal would have had a rubber pad on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think 22GT has got you covered. The rear suspension and steering wheel are the only things I would touch initially. It is a beautiful car and looks like you got a hell of a deal if there are no major hidden rust issues.
If I got a hell of a deal -- and I hope that's true -- it's because it was a no reserve auction that ended on Christmas Eve. I don't think too many people were around to bid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts