Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everywhere I look on wanted ads the model everyone wants are 67-68 Fastbacks in any engine and transmission combination they can get them. On censored site these cars are the one that get the more bids as soon as they pop up on the site. This forum is specially fond of fastbacks in general and please correct me if I am wrong. Why have they become so popular recently practically leaving the convertibles and coupes behind. Not to mention their prices. I was speaking yesterday to George Waydo at KAR and told me the last fastback he had was advertised on website late Friday afternoon at 5:00 PM and on Saturday at opening time he had about 5 persons waiting on the door to see the car and it was a 6 cil automatic car and sold that same day. Please share your thoughts on this topic since I am also looking for one.

G

·
0 Posts
It's this whole Gone in 60 Seconds/^&%$# Eleanor fad... It's got to end eventually.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope it ends soon.... The Eleonor thing is getting to me too but that was supossed to be a Shelby and will understand if Shelbys went up in popularity but regular fastbacks????

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
The fastback has always been the best-looking body style. I've just been waiting for the rest of you to catch on! ;)

I'm not certain what it is about them... I read once that they "look fast even when they're sitting still." I'll buy that. It's an agressive look. The more vents a car has, the faster it'll go, right? :p

As for the 67/68s increasing in popularity, I say it's about time. What a sleek body these cars have! "Bullitt" has always been a shot in the arm for the 68s. I mean, if it's good enough for Steve... And I hate to say it, but the "Gone in 60 Seconds" remake did a whole lot for the 67s. Folks read that the movie cars were made from run-of-the-mill fastbacks, and figure they can make one too. At least that's my theory.

1966 has always been my model year. I prefer it over the 65 because of the instrument cluster and the grill. Small things I know; but still... Plus I've always been fascinated with the fact that '66 was the year of the fewest fastbacks. It somehow made me want one more.

Having said all that – I've seriously considered trading my '66 on a 67/68 if the oportunity presented itself. I still may one of these days. Not because everyone else wants one; but because I truly appreciate the way they look. Always have! ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes I agree, I'm a 18 year old and I want one. I want to sell my coupe to get one. The reason is all the movies and stuff. But that is not the reason I want one( I did not like elle). I know a guy who just bought a beauty, Guess what he is going to do with the 68 GT, DRAG IT( It has a bench seat, Oringal 4 speed, aand a 302) He is going to strip it down and tear out the bench, and add some racing seats. Then he is going to put a front and back spoiler, and add air shocks, with red velvet int. I have never been so pissed about a car. Alot of the people who now want to get one do :
1. Make it a Clone of a shelby
2. DRAG IT
3.or three my fave make another Elle Clone
I get so mad when I see one of these three
I just want to restore, and add some nice American Racing wheels.
;)
I KNOW NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO DO THE STUFF I SAID, BUT ALL OF THE PEOPLE I HAVE MET DO :) Sorry for the people who actually get one to restore or make a restomod, I did not mean anything

·
Registered
966 Posts
IMO, the '67/'68 fastback is the best looking out of all the Mustangs. I swore when I bought another Mustang, that was what I was going to get. I think Gone in 60 Seconds ruined my chances of affording one. I wouldn't say I settled for what I have now, just had to apply a bit of reasoning and logic to what my money would buy. I managed to get all the features I wanted in a '67/'68 FB for less than half the price. All you guys that bought before the movie: Congratulations, you lucky dogs!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Eleanor wasn't actually a real Shelby, was just a over the top, highly modified Fastback. What that movie ended up bringing to light was the fact that there are just not that many Fastbacks available. Not even close in production numbers to convertibles. Eventually the craze to make a Eleanor clone may burn off but the realization of how rare and attractive the fastback body style is will not. I really believe at some point fastbacks will level off, but probably will remain at the same price range as convertibles and never return to the 1/2 way between coupes and convertibles price area they once were. I love coupes, but they will always lag way behind in value if only because they are so plentiful. Which in my opinion is good, we need an entry level classic mustang to bring in the younger enthusiasts.

·
Registered
491 Posts
hopefully the fad will end . ive been wanting to build a bullit clone myself .but thanks to elanor it probably wont happen.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
The next car I want to do will be a '67 shelby convertible clone. Sure, they only made one prototype, so all the better reason to clone it. Would paint it black with white, silver, or gold stripes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's NOT the "eleanor" thing for me...I first fell in love with these fastbacks back in 1985 when I saw my first (yes, arrested car appreciation development). It was an Oxford Gray '67 with magnum 500's and spinners. I bought my '68 fb in August of '00 but that was coincidence...I think:)

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
What's not to love about a 1968 Mustang fastback? ::

http://www.tucsonpony.com/ttrail3.jpg

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'll third what Laurie said! I found Elvis before the GISS fad, and I'm with the camp that thinks that they just look awesome!

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
It's a simple supply and demand thing. Although Shelby is making more so-called GT 500's, Ford ain't makin' anymore 67/68 fastbacks.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I agree completely with what you said about that body style. I have been looking for a resonably priced '65/'66 fastback and have come up dry so far. I think that body style is unique and very attractive.

Dave

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
And the whole time I thought it was a Steve thing..

·
Registered
321 Posts
When I see a '67 mustang, I don't think "Bullet, Steve, Gone in 60...." I just think it is the best looking body style. Even with the fake side scoops, I think it really sets it off from the rest.

Ok, so I'm biased!!! :p

Anthony

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
When were these models not hot? And for all who are getting tired of Elenor, would you rather have a Yenko in that movie instead? I love watching Bullitt and Gone In 60 Seconds back to back.

G

·
0 Posts
The fastback has always been the best-looking body style. I've just been waiting for the rest of you to catch on! ;)

I'm not certain what it is about them... I read once that they "look fast even when they're sitting still." I'll buy that. It's an agressive look. The more vents a car has, the faster it'll go, right? :p

As for the 67/68s increasing in popularity, I say it's about time. What a sleek body these cars have! "Bullitt" has always been a shot in the arm for the 68s. I mean, if it's good enough for Steve... And I hate to say it, but the "Gone in 60 Seconds" remake did a whole lot for the 67s. Folks read that the movie cars were made from run-of-the-mill fastbacks, and figure they can make one too. At least that's my theory.

1966 has always been my model year. I prefer it over the 65 because of the instrument cluster and the grill. Small things I know; but still... Plus I've always been fascinated with the fact that '66 was the year of the fewest fastbacks. It somehow made me want one more.

Having said all that – I've seriously considered trading my '66 on a 67/68 if the oportunity presented itself. I still may one of these days. Not because everyone else wants one; but because I truly appreciate the way they look. Always have! ;)
I love my fastback but might want to trade for a 66 fastback I just love all the old fastback

1 - 20 of 22 Posts