Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a center console that I'd like to try to restore. I believe that it might have originally came from a 68 because it has two small screw holes on the tail end near the ash try. I assume that's where the padded portion was secured on the 68's.
Anyway, anyone have a suggestion on how to fill these holes before repainting. I don't want to damage the original grain. I was wondering if bondo would work to fill the holes? Maybe spray the finished product an lay a piece of leather over it to try to copy the grain? I also have to repair the mounting holes but will try epoxy on that. And, the metal section around one of the radio dials has a small crack...maybe JB weld?? Looking for suggestions.

·
Premium Member
6,382 Posts
I'd plug 'em with a couple of small oval head screws, then grab a beer and admire my handiwork. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
In the past, I would repair holes with some epoxy on the inside but making sure it didn't come flush with the outer surface. Then once that was dry, I would use some wood filler so that I could put some pattern on the outside to match the rest. Then spray the whole thing when done. I used to restore a lot of consoles back in the day.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the past, I would repair holes with some epoxy on the inside but making sure it didn't come flush with the outer surface. Then once that was dry, I would use some wood filler so that I could put some pattern on the outside to match the rest. Then spray the whole thing when done. I used to restore a lot of consoles back in the day.
Thanks, I'll try that. How did you put the pattern (grain) on the repaired part?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I used JB weld to fill in a small hole (1/4" diameter) on the last console I repaired. I made a small backing plate out of scrap plastic to support the repair. I scuffed the inside of the console and the backer to make sure I had good adhesion and used an engraving tool to recreate the grain on the outside after sanding smooth.

·
Registered
145 Posts
After a friend used RapidFix on his console and other parts, I used it to restore my '70 Mach 1 console (also rear quarter plastic upholstery pieces). They also sell a powder to mix with the adhesive to fill in voids for which I used that too. Sprayed the repaired pieces with NPD's vinyl dye. RapidFix Instant Adhesives Bond Almost Anything

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
Alternately, you can epoxy the holes, and press a piece of vinyl on the still-soft epoxy to impress them with a "grain" pattern.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts