Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my '67 Mustang 289 Convertible with a Bench Seat. I inherited this car from my grandfather in Jan '10. I have done a little research on the car and discovered that it is 1 of 1209 made in '67 that is a convertible with a front bench seat (with matching numbers). It had been sitting undisturbed in a garage for over 15 years... The keys have since been lost. Can anyone recommend somewhere to begin purchasing replacment parts, preferably not 'cheap' imitations. Also please view the pics and anyone with any information, tidbits or details of the engine or the car itself would be most appreciated. I am a rookie when it comes to working on cars but Im willing to dive in head first. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
If yor plan is to bring it back to how it came from the factory, a good start is getting a Marti Report (Marti Auto Works - Marti Report).

Good luck.

/Paul

·
Registered
35,866 Posts
If you remove the lock cylinder from one of the doors, you can take it to a locksmith and have a key made to match it.

The trunk is a little harder. Once you start the car, drive it to the same locksmith.

If it's not running, that will complicate the trunk.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
Just my opinion:
1)Under the hood is painted body color. Mustangs came satin black form the factory. So, as stated, get a Marti report.
2) Look for service records. Real unlikley this car has only 34XXX miles. Likely 134XXX or even 234XXX.
3) There is a lot of nice non-factory stuff on the engine. Grandaddy must of loved that car.
4) the Marti report would say if it was built with a bench seat. Ok, thats rare. Tha also doesn't mean it is desireable.
5) don't wreck it.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Welcome, we have one of those 67 bench seat convertibles as well. I'm looking forward ti having it back together some day :)

Take lots of photos you will be surprised how long some of these restorations end up taking.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
True, but you still need keys to get the original trunk and ignition tumblers out in the first place.
Don't need the key to remove the door and trunk locks. And you can pull the entire ignition switch and replace it all to get around not having a key.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts