Vintage Mustang Forums banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
The Pypes stainless steel exhaust kit bolted right up with NO cutting required. Worth every penny. Highly recommend it. They have a “L” shaped crease at the mating point so it clamps down more effectively.

I am running the 88600 long tube Hedman 351W conversion headers, with no issues.

The only cuts I had to make were to cut back the ends to install the Pypes chrome tips I bought separately.

Unbelievably easy to install, did it in my garage with ratchets and wrenches.

I will have the whole system welded up (and clamps removed) when I have my Tin Man subframe connectors installed, but for now it works to get it going down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
The 22 gal fuel tank has a fuel sump, and I welded up the stock “spill all over the bumper” filler neck port and relocated it using a fuel cap and breather, so not a stock setup. See earlier posts.

Purchased this with some 3/8” hose to reduce any fuel smells in the garage. Working so far.

·
Registered
67 Mustang 351w
418 Posts
Did you swap out the 3" tall air cleaner with a 2"? The one is post #81 looks shorter than the one on the previous page. Did you ever check hood clearance?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Great question, took me awhile to work out a solution

Ended up piecing together a 1” Summit drop base air cleaner and a Mr Gasket 2” air filter to get it all to fit.

There is a 68 Cobra Jet scoop on my shelf, but I prefer not to cut the hood if I can help it because its original and I like the long hood lines on the 67.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Had to replace/upgrade the distributor and coil. Having all sorts of trouble keeping it running with the Summit unilite distributor knockoff and coil.

Pertronix III distributor (two wire hookup) and F/T 3 coil, w/adjustable rev limiter and mechanical curve advance arrived today. We’ll see how it goes this weekend.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Travis at NPD went above and beyond to exchange a bullet mirror for my 67 which didn't fit, measuring the ones he had to find me one that fit.

It got me thinking and I realized that I could not have gotten this back on the road 25 years later without NPD. Rick and his team are the best, hands down.

Yes, I know I need to put the hood on but wanted to button everything up first.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I was having some major issues with heat soak and the starter, the Hedman 88660’s long tubes were powder coated with high temp coating but must be throwing some heat.

I bought a basic starter shield blanket, wrapped the starter a couple of times, and no issues since.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
And…..everything fits under the hood. Great news because I did NOT want to cut up my original hood.

Now I am turning over in my head whether to stay with a final scuff & spray or go with a custom blackout hood design of some sort.

Why not? Left a stock look behind about 10 years ago with the inline 6.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts