Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Jeremy and I am currently wrenching on a 1967 mustang coupe in-line 6. The main issue I am having is with the 4 to 5 lug nut conversion kit for disk brakes. The front end is all put together but my issue is with the rear end and the axle. I am going to be putting a bigger engine in the car, but that is a little bit down the road so I don’t really want to put a larger axle in until I need to. I am wondering what my best options are for getting the axles to a five lug nut pattern. Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,939 Posts
Pull the drums and axles and have a machine shop drill them for the 5 lug pattern.

Wait are trying to install 4 wheel disc?

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,939 Posts
I'm not sure it's gonna happen with the 4 lug rear axle. What did you use on the front.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
MY suggestion is never spend money on an interim solution, start looking for a 5 bolt Mustang rear end. Stock drum brakes are very good on high performance Mustangs, better places to spend your money IMHO. The best advice I can give you is to plan your car out from the beginning. How much HP and how you want to use the car. Spirited street, street strip just fun around town. Once you know how much HP you want e.g 300-350 is very reasonable and affordable, from there costs start to skyrocket e.g. bigger motor, transmission, rear end, brakes it goes on and on. Then slowly add parts to get there. never waste a dime. Watch craigslist, FB market place. Deals come usually when your not needing it so stash things away over time.

·
Premium Member
7,719 Posts
The 1967 - 1970 5 bolt V8 rear end is VERY common, axles, pumpkin, V8 brake parts and all is very common. Don't mess with the 4 lug set up, just go source a V8 rear end.

On the front, you are lucky, as the spindles on a 6 cyl are the same as a V8, so you can straight install an aftermarket disk brake system.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Use the 4 hole wheels and leave the rear end alone until you get an 8 or 9 inch.
If you want performance and a big choice of parts get a 9" rear axle.
As mentioned, I would keep the rear drums and do it once.
Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts