Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted a build thread previously, but the photobucket issue made that thread useless. And because I can't find a way to edit my posts to get pictures in there, I figured it's best to chronicle everything again (somewhat condensed to show all phases at once).

I originally bought this '67 coupe in December 2015, and it was originally a C-Code, P/S, power disc brakes, and deluxe interior (but many pieces were already missing). It looked pretty good at face value.

But it had its ugly side. The cowl was OK but it was stored with a window open so it needed floor pan work. And most of the car looked like this...

So the first thing that I did was start stripping all of this crap and took the front end down to bare metal and coated with MasterSeries Silver

And then it got all new suspension/steering/brakes

Once the rust repair was done on the floors, I tackled the inside, again using MS Silver, followed by SecondSkin DeAmplifier Pro topped with their Luxury Liner Pro for sound deadening.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then I masked everything off, painted the dash and doors (stripped with aircraft stripper), and reinstalled the interior plus new ACC cut-pile mass back carpet.

I also stripped the trunk down, applied MS Silver, and then an undercoating product. It then housed my new sound system, and I built a plywood floor and installed modern Mercedes trunk carpeting to finish it off.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was all done by mid-2016. Fast forward to fall of 2017 and there were big changes on the way...

I had a 408 stroker built (paired with a built C4) that eventually found its way into the engine bay - but it didn't clear the stock hood so the hood now has a 69/70 mach 1 scoop that might be functional?

The factory air was swapped out for a Classic Auto Air Perfect Fit system which... still isn't operational yet because I keep forgetting to get it charged. There is also a Holley EFI Sniper sitting under the air cleaner, which necessitated some additional work in the trunk - this is the Tanks, Inc. 22 gallon, and the battery was relocated to the trunk.

New Flowmaster 2.5" stainless exhaust kit, and electric cutouts from Summit were installed.

I still haven't really been able to test the engine yet since my street Kumhos just won't hook up at the track

But I was still able to post a 13.4 at 105mph despite spinning the tires for way too long. I bought a set of drag radials...

But these damn things rub with how low the rear of my car sits, so I haven't been able to try these at the track yet.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And once again fast forwarding from fall of 2017 to the present, more changes are on the way.

The stock v-belt setup just wasn't cutting it, so I have a CVF Racing Wraptor serpentine kit arriving soon. I am also getting fab/body work done followed by paint.

A few notable changes are that the drip rails, '67 side scoops, and cowl vents are gone, as are the door handles, and these guys are going to be installed:

I also went with the paintable steel Dynacorn bumpers, which had all bumper bolts eliminated and the bumpers are fitted to meet the body lines (this is still rough)

I also switched the front valence to a Dynacorn piece sourced from MTF. The turn signal holes will be deleted since I got a set of headlights with integrated turn signals.

There are also 6.4" Hella driving lights mounted into the radiator support so that they are hidden behind the grille.

And I picked up this pretty slick cover from Stang-a-holics for the gap between the grille and radiator support.

As that picture shows, I decided to ditch the hood latch and went with a set of Ring Brothers teardrop hood pins (and also added billet hood bumpers from Ring Brothers too).

The car is still going through body work but will (hopefully) by going to paint soon. The plan is to black everything out... and I am leaning toward a satin black with gloss black stripes and all trim in gloss black. I am also going to get my current wheels powdercoated satin as well.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Quick update... I'm not entirely happy with the engineering behind the Kindig handles. They appear to be designed for a Chevy latch/rod mechanism and the workaround to get the vertical movement needed for a Ford mechanism isn't great. It's essentially using the backside of the handle (and, specifically, a screwhead made from questionable metal) to push on the flat piece of hinged bracket. I'm concerned about the longevity of metal-on-metal contact.

There is also no positive stop on the handles. The only thing stopping the handles from continuing to open is another screwhead getting wedged into the gap where the handle hinges open. Putting aside for a second that this isn't a trustworthy "stop" (especially when opening a door that weighs... 50 pounds?), the major problem is that the backside of the handle (as it opens and pushes into the door recess) gets hung up on the bracket designed to get this to function with a Ford/vertical setup. So a positive stop will have to be made in order to eliminate the chance at the handle being wedged open. With these getting welded into the car, that would be a PITA to address since I'd have to pull the door panel off every time it happened.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not the biggest update, but... the CVF Racing Wraptor serpentine kit is looking awfully good so far

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts