Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 Coupe with leaf springs that sag a bit. Currently there are air shocks on the back that leak. Looking to switch to a coil over shock and leave everything else as is. Not looking to replace the entire rear suspension. Any suggestions on what product I can use. I want to have the rear at a certain height to fit 255/60/15 so that the top of the tire sits inside the wheel well half inch. All the coil overs I search require all new suspension kit. Is it possible to just put a coil over in place of existing air shocks? Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 67 Coupe with leaf springs that sag a bit. Currently there are air shocks on the back that leak. Looking to switch to a coil over shock and leave everything else as is. Not looking to replace the entire rear suspension. Any suggestions on what product I can use. I want to have the rear at a certain height to fit 255/60/15 so that the top of the tire sits inside the wheel well half inch. All the coil overs I search require all new suspension kit. Is it possible to just put a coil over in place of existing air shocks? Thanks.
You don' want air shocks or coil overs these cars as the sheet metal at top of shock was never meant to support weight. You'll get lots of replies with good suggestions. I have a 67 also and replaced leaf springs. Its not that hard of a job to do, depending on your mechanical abilities.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This is the stance after new springs were installed. Can't remember where I got them from (maybe Mustangs Unlimited which is out of business) but I know they were for convertible or use on coupe as a more heavy duty option. I obviously have stock size wheels so not sure how that will work for the size you are wanting to use. And yes regular shocks, but don't go cheap on the those.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thinking is stock might work ok. The tires that were on the car were 185/75/14. Not sure if that is the stock size or not. The ones I am looking at are 2 inches larger diameter, so would just sit up inside wheel well which would be fine. Curious if you think of it. Could you give me the measurement from the ground to the edge of the rear wheel well and your wheel size. That would help me know whether my wheels would fit with a stock leaf spring and rear shock. Beautiful car. Thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well I like a STIFF and sporty ride so I went as stiff as possible, 5 leaf reverse eyes and bilstien shocks in the rear. I’d you want a average ride then I’d go 4 1/2 leafs bilsteins or konis are the best shocks for these cars, stock then 4 leaf and koni or bilstein

for ride high
Standard eye will raise you up about 1 1/2in if you have worn out leafs
Mid eye will be about an 1in
Reverse is about the same as worn out stock four leafs

my thinking is 90% of the car is up front and you don’t need to spend thousands on the rear much better up front new springs and shocks go a long way and always rubber bushings on the rear I’m not a fan of the global west deladums there’s a reason there’s bushings to allow movement.

·
Registered
554 Posts
My thinking is stock might work ok. The tires that were on the car were 185/75/14. Not sure if that is the stock size or not. The ones I am looking at are 2 inches larger diameter, so would just sit up inside wheel well which would be fine. Curious if you think of it. Could you give me the measurement from the ground to the edge of the rear wheel well and your wheel size. That would help me know whether my wheels would fit with a stock leaf spring and rear shock. Beautiful car. Thanks.
On my 67 vert I used Scott drake mid eye 1" drop springs from summit ( not too expensive at about $120 each) with new shakle hardware because it sagged pretty bad in the rear.

I'm running 225 x55 R16's allround that are approx the same height as the factory stock size tires and seem to fit kinda like you want. Forget about the coil overs and air shocks as the car does not have the sheetmetal at the top mount to use them. Or you can use them and beat the top sheetmetal out. Can't recommend a shock as most everybody is a hater of the ones I'm useing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome. Really helpful. I will go that way and re-do springs. The diameter of my rear wheels is 27.05 inches. Hoping to have about half inch up inside wheel well. Seems like the springs you guys used would get me pretty close to that which is perfect.

·
Registered
948 Posts
As others have stated, no air shocks, and coil overs are a replacement for leaf springs, not in addition to..

I’d go with 4 1/2 mid eye leafs. I use QA1 shocks, which are hydraulic (no gas charging). Makes for a pretty compliant ride. A good shock makes a world of difference, but if you’re just cruising to dairy queen, then really any shock will do. Otherwise any quality shock will be a worthwhile upgrade.

I have 255/40 17s in the rear, and the fender just barely meets the tread of the tire. 255/60 15 is 2” taller than my tire, so it seems that the tire will be inside the fender about 1.25”. By my estimation anyway.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sorry, the car is in a Car Bag for the winter so I can't get that measurement for you. Tires are 205 70 R14. There are tire size calculators online that compare tire diameters. Remember, the original leaf spring eyes are on top of spring, if you were to get a mid eye spring it will lower rear of car accordingly. You'll find most people on this forum are more interested in lowering their rides..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. Sounds good. I will compare based on your tire size. Ya. I don't want to go lower. I am thinking if the back is a bit higher would be fine or stock is good too. Thinking the standard eye would prb work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your 205's are 25.3 inches, so I think mine will sit perfect when I see the small spacing you have in the back. Should just fill up the space up which is what I want using standard eye springs. Thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Your 205's are 25.3 inches, so I think mine will sit perfect when I see the small spacing you have in the back. Should just fill up the space up which is what I want using standard eye springs. Thanks.
Get rid of them air shocks I had some on mine thanks to PO and they cracked up that metal a lot, but not the worst thing he did

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks good advice. I don’t see any cracks, but this car sat in storage for 15 years so I have other issues as well. Namely mice had a 5 star hotel for years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts