Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer, I am a major novice however I enjoy doing things myself and learning.

With that said I have a 1967 mustang coupe 2bbl carb with a 3 speed manual. After a ton of searching about how to pull motors and install motors on these cars it seems most questions stem from install fuel injected 302's or other large engines (351, 490). My question is what is required or has to be changed if anything to install a carbed 302 into my mustang using the stock 3 speed.

Ok here are my initial questions in list form:
1. swap a 302 where the 289 was (does is just bolt right in like the 289)...what mods are needed if any?
2. how strong is the 3 speed as I would like to keep this because I doubt I could swap a tranny.
3. I want somewhere in the 300 range for power so was looking at crate engines...is there a good website for this as again I probably cant rebuild an engine.

Notes:
This car is a weekend car
Budget $10,000 total over time
Small single garage to work in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
1) There's no reason to trade a 302 for a 289, the extra cubes will make almost no difference. You can, however, trade in the 289 for a 331 or 347 stroker (if you don't know what a stroker is, google it.) but yes, it will bolt right in.

2) A three speed tranny won't be able to handle much more than 300hp, trade in for a T5 5spd from a 5.0 or a modern 4 speed

3) 300hp is easy to get from the engine, you can definitely use the 289 to get that kind of power. You could use bolt-on upgrades such as new heads, or it may require a rebuild if the engine is in poor condition or is just old. An engine rebuild with some new heads and a new carb or EFI will certainly fit into your budget. Probably around $2-3K depending on what you decide to do. You can then spend the remaining money on some new exhaust, a brand new T5, and about $4,000 worth of upgrades after that.

Other things to consider...

Torque is much more important than horsepower if this is going to be a weekend car with some muscle. A good thing to consider would be a 347 Stroker or a 351W. A 289 pumping out 300hp is possible, but all the power will be at the top end. What you want on the street is to be pushed back in your seat. 347 Stroker: http://www.coasthigh.com/

Front Disc Brakes are a must. Check out CSRP for a cheap, easy to use kit. http://www.discbrakeswap.com/

A 9-inch rear end diff will help tame the power. Craigslist this or google it.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Ford Motorsports makes a nice long block motor that will put out the HP you want. $4K. Then add another $1500 for all the additional stuff you will need (headers, exhaust, clutch, carb, etc.)
If you decide to upgrade the tranny you are looking at another at least $1500. Then a traction lok rear - another $500.

Basically most of your budget will go into the drive line with just enough left over to replace the steering and suspension components.

If you have to have somebody else do the labor add $2-3K.

Or just slap a 4V intake, headers, dual exhaust and 3.50 gears into what you have now. About $2K.

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
The 3 speed: I remember reading that it was the same trans as sold to GM for use in the GTO, it will likely hold together for you. Besides, if you blow it up, then go get a toploader 4 speed (used) on down the road.
Yes, the 302 will drop right in, but as mentioned, look into the crate motorrs that are available, especially the stroker 289/302 based ones. There are many different headaches with the 351 swap, I've done one.

·
Registered
35,883 Posts
1. swap a 302 where the 289 was (does is just bolt right in like the 289)...what mods are needed if any?
As stated above, it's pointless to do that swap just to gain 11 cubic inches.
2. how strong is the 3 speed as I would like to keep this because I doubt I could swap a tranny.
The 3.03 3-speed is as strong as the "toploader" 4-speed, in facthtey share some internal parts.
3. I want somewhere in the 300 range for power so was looking at crate engines...is there a good website for this as again I probably cant rebuild an engine.
All you need to do is get an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold and 600 cfm carb, C9OZ-6250-C hydraulic HiPo cam, recurved stock distributor, and your stock heads port-matched to your exhaust. The whole thing comes in well under a grand, and a fella near here did this and turned 321 hp on the dyno.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses. I should have mentioned that the motor currently in the car has been burning more and more oil each year and now doesnt even run (although it is a different issue that it doesnt run) Because of this I was looking into crate motors. I certainly have not ruled out swapping another 289 in but knew that the 302 had more options in terms of aftermarket support. I also could definetly switch to a 4 spd in the future but my motto seems to be if it aint broke than use it. So I want to stay 3 speed until if gives in on me.

Would it be best to search the internet for:
1. a shop that sells crate engines
2. have a shop rebuild my motor

If option one, than is their any shops anyone would reccomend. Also to clarify when I said 300ish HP I meant more like 350 hp 330tq give or take a few.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The 3 speed: I remember reading that it was the same trans as sold to GM for use in the GTO, it will likely hold together for you.
No GTO's every came with a 3 speed manual transmission.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
No GTO's every came with a 3 speed manual transmission.
Odd. The Pontiac GTO site has a copy of the October 1963 press release. It states that the GTO option includes 325 HP 389 and 3 speed syncro floor shift transmission.

Clicking on 1964 GTO specs again say 389cu in 325 hp V8
Standard transmission 3 speed syncro with Hurst shifter.
Optional transmission 4 speed with Hurst shifter.

As I recall the GTO was originally a bare bones low cost high performance option
on the Tempest/LeMans

I was mostly a Ford guy back then but I recall how discustingly fast those original GTOs were.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts