Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a build thread in the modded section but in the last 6 months i decided to go full Trans-Am tribute with my 1967 coupe. I am thinking either a Acapulco blue "Bill Maier" #22 or Wimbledon White "McComb" #33 car.

Here's my old thread.

I will post the updates to what has been done on the car, I am trying to do a nice tribute car that I can still drive my wife and baby boy to shows... so it should be a challenge.

I am thinking of keeping the car vintage legal as much as possible, with some tasteful upgrades.

302 4V V8 with 4 speed Top Loader
160lb Rear Leaf with Pan-Hard Bar fand sway bar from Maier
Front 600lb springs with modified Maier upper control arms and sway bar
Few parts from Open Tracker, Roller Spring Perch ext...
Front Trans-Am brakes and Strut Rods from SOT
4 Point Roll bar from Autopower
9" rear with 3.5 gears and TrackLoc
10x2" rear drums

...all this after i finish the rotisserie bare metal rebuild...

LOL I hope i get to make at least one show this year.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I think the rear drums were 2 1/2" X 10. Course I may be wrong. I think they were used on a Ford station wagon or an 80's LTD. Great job on the build.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys , I got the official verdict from my wife. Blue - So Maier look a like it is!!

Jrh68 , thank you. It does not get easier loosing a child, I am going to name the car 'Lt'l Sophie'. We were blessed with a son last year so we consider ourselves lucky.
And learning to weld was great therapy...

·
Registered
35,984 Posts
I think the rear drums were 2 1/2" X 10. Course I may be wrong. I think they were used on a Ford station wagon or an 80's LTD.
Fairlane 390 station wagon. You can get them complete from Cobra Automotive.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good Luck. This might be a cheaper alternative.:p $22k seems a bargain these days.
This is still for sale in my area and i look at the ad every time i see. maybe it will give you some idea or motivation for your planning. :)

1967 Ford Mustang purpose built road race car
I already have two mustangs.. a third and I think I would be sleeping in the garage. :)

I like the chin spoiler though, thanks Lakeside 66.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pretty sure they were 15x8.

But may have been 15x7. 15x8 may have been the max allowed.
I was looking at running 15x8 all round with a 4.75 backspace. I do see Cobra Automotive have a 15x8.5 with a -0.9 offset. Based on my calculations that seems like it would be sticking out and I would need fender flares which I am trying to avoid.

Any recommendation on larger Torq Thust D's for the rear, pretty sure i'll go with the 15x8 with 245/60/15 on the front.

If this get too hard i may switch to 17" wheels due to tire choices but i would prefer the 15" for the vintage look.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks 22GT, I had a choice stick with 10x2" i have (think they were from a 69), or spend700+ on the legit 10x2.5" for the money I will just stick with rebuilding my 10x2". Does anyone know if they had disks in the rear in 67/68 Trans-Am?

·
Vendor
5,300 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I too like the Trans Am stance, low & slightly nose down......from the pics I've seen.
My intent is to use 15 X 8 wheels with a square set up. 235 X 50 tires which are only 24.3 inches tall.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Guys, I have looking around to see about techniques for reproducing the fender flares.

I think I can do the front but the back with the outer wheel wells are a challenge.

I think i will need to look for a custom rear size .... unless anyone has insight into the wheel flares??

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Been a while,

Sorry for no updates... 1 year old boy seems to take up some considerable time.

Work has continues though and I want to thank a few people before I post all the details.

Mike and Vince from "Maier Racing"
Shaun from "Street Or Track"
Dave from "Chock o Stang"
Geoffrey from "US Auto Performance"
John & Shari from "OpenTracker"

Outstanding service, Thank you for all your help!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Classic Tube - Exhaust Reinforcement Plates

So between all the suspension work I decided to install the reinforcement plates from "Classic Tube" to support a dual exhaust system.

These reinforce the floor pan and supply the correct mounting holes for a dual exhaust system.

I did need to do some very minor adjustment to the plates but on the whole the fitted very well.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts