Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the '67 S code coupe the other day, we noticed that the driver's side vent window had the L-shaped latch, while the passenger side had a straight latch. I've looked at replacements, and see both styles offered for the '67. Which is correct? Was there a running change?

TIA

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
The 67's got the L and the 68's got the straight latch IIRC. If you lookj carefully I'm sure you will see that the door with the straight latch had been replaced on the 67.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what we suspected, but we didn't know which one was which. I'll look at the passenger door again to see if it was the whole door or just the vent window.

Thanks!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I'm confused! What's this L versus straight? Are you referring to cross section of
the vent locking handle?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I thought it was only the 64-66 that had the L shaped? Catalogs have different P/Ns for 67 and 68, but the look the same in pictures

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
'68 had two styles, one solid metal one with a plastic tip (think the plastic may be service replacement or late '68). Beleive the '67 is a flat "L", the short leg clamps to the frame, a late '66 date coded Carlite I have has the "L".

The 68 is a "U" shape and the tip of the "U" clamps against the frame.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Now I know what was meant by L! Was that little plastic tip on the '68 a late addition?
My original '68 vent lock handles don't have the plastic but the locking tip has nicely
radiused corners and the tip is angled. I suspect the plastic tip was added to reduce
scratching of the the stainless that it locks on.
If the plastic comes off it looks like
it would really gouge the stainless and may not pull the vent tight!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Unfortuneately, you can't just change the passenger side vent window handle to match it up to the drivers side.

The stainless channel trim around the vent window glass is different, thus not permitting the mixing of the handles...

It's a very subtle difference, but a MAJOR misnomer on eBay. Most sellers state that the vent windows/assemblies are for '67-68. While it is true that they'll physically fit either year car, you may end up with '67 windows in a '68 car and therefore have to use the '67 vent window handle (or vice versa).

Here's the subtle difference....

On 1968 vent windows, notice how the vent window handle mounts onto the stainless steel channel surrounding the vent window glass.... study the shape of the "bulge" in the channel (where the pivot point is). The slope of the "bulge" starts out small at the trailing edge of the glass and gets larger as it moves forward.

http://i16.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/ca/77/92ff_1.JPG

Now look at the '67 stainless channel and the same "bulge"..... the slope starts out small at the leading edge and gets larger as it moves rearward. This subtle change, in effect, shifts the pivot point preventing a '67 vent window from using a '68 handle and vice-versa. The "pivot points" have shifted from one year to the other.

http://i9.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/c9/12/c980_12.JPG

Sorry for the bad picture of the '67 windows, but it was the best example eBay had to offer (today).

Dave

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Good explaination Dave. The '67 and '68 Mustangs appear to be almost identical except
for minor trim changes. This vent latch is one of what appeared to be a minor change.
Another was the change in quarter panel scoop trim. In fact the quarter panel
sheet metal stamping is significantly different in the scoop area!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave, excellent explaination! I'm hoping it's just the vent window, and not the entire door that was changed. That would lead me to suspect severe damage at some point in time.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Let's say a PO installed a complete '68 passenger side door on your '67. That would
account for the '68 vent window latch. The '68 also had window crank attached with
a screw rather than clip so the regulator was different. The PO would have had to
swap out the regulator or modified it. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
The '67 window crank was screwed on as well, but the shaft that it's screwed into is either longer or shorter than the '68 by about 1/4". Also, the holes in the door for the armrest screws are spaced differently.

Frank

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I thought they were different. Never had a '67 but the cats show different listings.
Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
The 68 latches with the plastic tip were later NOS ones. You should have the all chrome ones. I got mine replated - only about $30 each.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Thanks, they are original and in near mint condition. Was just wondering
when the change was made or if the plastic tip is an "improvement" added on the repo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts