Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure that this would be a good place to chronicle my modest build of this 1967 Coupe. I picked up this C-code in December that originally came with P/S, power discs, A/C, and deluxe interior.

It looked pretty good at face value

But of course, it had its ugly side too such as rust in the driver's side floor that I don't even want to post a picture of, and most of the car looked like this...

So the first thing that I did was pull off the front end and take it down to bare metal. I then prepped and painted with MasterSeries Silver.

Once the rust was replaced on the driver's side, I then stripped/sanded the floors and entire interior. Coated it in MasterSeries Silver as well, and then laid SecondSkin deAmplifier Pro over it.

I also scuffed and painted the inside of the roof with MS Silver, then brushed on SecondSkin Spectrum sound deadening.

Then I also stripped the trunk and laid down MS Silver, followed by some rubberized undercoating.

As it sits, the car now has all-new front/rear suspension, brakes, steering, and power steering.

There is also a new sound system that went in... Alpine R series 6.5" in the kick panels, 6"x9"s in the package tray, and a 12" sub in the trunk. The next step is to strip and paint the dash and interior doors, then lay down additional SecondSkin LuxuryLiner Pro mass loaded vinyl for additional sound proofing, followed by new mass-backed carpet.

Then hopefully I get to drive the damn thing!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trunk was a pain in the ***. I actually just stripped it with a DA sander with 80 grit. Used hand-sanding where needed The MS Silver levels nicely and filled a lot of the minor imperfections. Then the rubberized undercoating hide any remaining issues.

The car needed new front/rear pans on the driver side. The idiot previous owner had 3 layers of carpet AND a thin layer of metal under the driver's feet. That was destined to rust even with a tiny amount of water - the water likely just sat there and sat there. It was essentially swiss cheese, and as soon as I got the carpet up, I was able to poke straight into the frame rail. But... the frame rail was fine! haha

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hey! The trunk is this weekend's project on my '67! Any reason you chose to use a DA instead of a wire wheel?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, no specific reason that makes sense. I didn't take any of the factory deadening off the interior of the quarter panels, and everything came off relatively easily with the DA. Also, I was sick of using the wire wheel after tackling my inner fenders. The DA was more mindless for me.

Another update... here are pics of some of the stereo components.

6"x9" Alpine R-series installed in TMI's vinyl-wrapped package tray. The package tray is very nicely done - I'm impressed. It helps that I went to go look at it in person before buying haha.

Alpine 6.5" R-series with tweeters installed in MP Product's ABS kick panels, found here: 1965-1968 MUSTANG KICK PANELS W/ TWEETER PODS . These are nicely done but will require some trimming. They provide a lot of extra depth to install good kick panel speakers as opposed to being restricted to 6.5" with shallow mounting depth. I was also able to mount the crossover behind the kick panel so that it's all hidden.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More updates

So... that was a lot of work to get back to roughly the same point as before haha. The interior is now all back together and ready to enjoy, minus a headliner because my gaskets are too brittle to install a one-piece headliner successfully (I think).

Here's the latest:

My wife stripped the doors with Aircraft stripper to retain the grain.

I stripped the dash and prepped for paint.

Everything masked off.

Dash after paint but before reassembly

Dash after reassembly, including a new MTF dash pad. I kept the original deluxe interior panels for now even though they aren't in great shape - gotta save money for now haha.

Doors after paint. The door panels are old and faded but again, I can wait on those. The grain really pops after stripping and re-painting.

SecondSkin Luxury Liner Pro added on top of the floor and the SecondSkin deAmplifier Pro.

ACC cut-pile mass back carpet goes in. Really nice stuff but kind of a PITA to install.

Backseat, quarter trim, and scuff plates back in.

Front seats and kick panels installed.

Now there are just a few things left to do, which this picture illustrates. I need to cut the radio bezel to fit the new head unit, including fabbing a bracket if necessary. I also need to install the transmission shift bezel, and then clean up a few of the interior pieces like the steering wheel and gas/brake pedals.

Overall, it's nothing fancy but this is how it will stay for a while as I get everything else in order. Eventually I'll be getting all new deluxe brushed aluminum trim and will re-install the factory lower and upper consoles, as well as getting a new steering wheel of some work.

Next step is to reassemble the entire front end, then get an alignment. At that point, I should be ready to enjoy it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts