Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1967 GT500
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a freshly restored 1967 GT with deluxe interior ivy gold fiberglass seat backs. I have taken the car out a handful of times and see the passenger seat back now has 2 cracks in it. The drivers side has 3 cracks in it. How are these appearing? Installed wrong with stress? Where did these even come from to buy more? Thanks.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,640 Posts
My guess is that either you did not see the existing cracks in the seat back shells when you bought the car or, someone entering or exiting the back seat could have leaned heavily on them (now old and brittle) causing the cracks. In either event, small cracks are generally repairable using epoxy and a piece of flat reinforcement plastic on the inside to hold it all together.

Those shells are available as reproductions from your well stocked Mustang Parts Houses and can be dyed to match your interior. For example:

https://www.npdlink.com/product/sea...thick-fiberglass-good/105200/200129?year=1967

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
Use a little bit of fiberglass resin and thin fiberglass cloth on the back side for reinforcement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts