Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently inherited a 1967 Fastback with a 428 Cobra Jet engine. Everything on the Mustang is original other than the engine and paint. My grandpa unfortunately passed away recently. When I went to insure the vehicle, they needed a price point that it was worth. I'm hoping you all can shed some light, for I am in no way as well educated enough to make a guess. I have not had much luck finding a car with a similar engine being so close to all original.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
5,729 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Mid-year 1968 was the first 428 Cobra Jet engine option, not 1967. So if the VIN starts with "7" it's not an original car. The 68 Cobra Jet Mustang has a VIN starting with "8F02R..."

Your insurance company should have contacts to perform classic car appraisals. If not, you need to find a different insurance company. Search the forum for entire threads on the best insurance companies for antique cars.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Yep, get a professional appraiser, and get it in writing.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
First off, he says the engine is not original, just that it is a 428 cj. Secondly he hasn't been back, which I always find annoying with these one and done newbie posts...The op does not specify if he wants daily driver ins with full coverage or just liability coverage, or classis car stated value non dd coverage so its really a moot point to try and answer it. Whatever you say, 30k or 49995 it's not that big of a difference. I wonder how many people have sent him private messages offering to buy it...hope its not a phishing scam..just getting more pessimistic and less patient every year...

·
Registered
754 Posts
@geicoman58, I noticed he said the engine wasn't original, but for that reason it's also unlikely to be a correct 1968 428 CJ block, heads, intake, carb, etc. I was just mentioning when the first CJ was available for other readers. In any case, I think that a professional appraiser is the OP's best option since he doesn't know anything about early Mustangs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts