Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this? How the heck do you fit this on there? Seems like I'd have to bend the heck out of it just to get it on. If anyone has a tip, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Well I'm not sure what exactly your issue is, but I recommend taking a full panel and cutting it to a skin. I did a full panel on one side which was difficult, but on the drivers side is an easier version and this is how I did it:

Reactions: Israel

·
Super Moderator
10,052 Posts
Well I'm not sure what exactly your issue is, but I recommend taking a full panel and cutting it to a skin. I did a full panel on one side which was difficult, but on the drivers side is an easier version and this is how I did it:

Very good write up, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice write up. But....the fastback is a different animal. I think I need to apply pressure down at the window seam area and kinda clip it in there. Also need to pry up the upper seam as there's no way it's sliding into it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
if it is not right it will affect a lot and things will snowball.. You could take it to a restoration shop and expect to pay 18-22 hours a side. But it will be right

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it figured out. It had to snap into place at the top along the back window. Then the rest of it drops in at the bottom. The panel is actually flexed a little more than it is when it's installed. Actually pretty impressed with the fit at this point. I'll add some pictures at some point so others have a reference.

Don't worry Lester, I'm anal. It will be right if it takes me......... 15 years now.

·
Registered
1967 GT500
567 Posts
I also cut the old quarter below the top edge by the trunk by about 5" to preserve it and mid way up the sail panel. If you take and bend both edges in where the panels will meet, you create a channel for the weld bead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts