Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1967 fb: OEM front disc and rear drums: Also the car was an automatic and now being converted to a 5 speed manual:

Which brake booster do I get: Do I get one for an automatic 67-1 or manual 67-3?

And it needs a proportion valve any suggestions?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
888 Posts
From the questions & answer page.
The reason there is a difference on cars with manual and Auto trans cars is to clear the factory linkage coming through the firewall on Manual trans cars

·
Premium Member
880 Posts

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
I am not aware of any differences in the booster between the manual and automatic trans cars. There was only two boosters used, one being the Midland-Ross one.
There is a difference between the brake pedals between the manual brakes and the power boosted brakes.
Proportional valve? Listed in the NPD catalog. Its back by the rear axle on the 67's

·
Registered
836 Posts
It's a Scott Drake conversion kit. Pics of 67-3 show that there are a ratio changing linkage mounted behind the booster, like on the stock '65/'66 booster. The scott Drake site says disc/manuel for this kit. Ford didn't have aut or manuel boosters, it's just some these conversion kits with "shortcut" engineering, that only will fit specific setups.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So which one do I get? One for a manual transmission which is in the car now?

Or do I get one for an automatic transmission that was originally installed?

CJ says manual, Summit says Auto? Lol. Or does it even matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
The first one states that it is not meant for cars that originally came with power brakes, so I would guess the second one.

However, I would probably be inclined to contact West Coast Cougar or Chockostang and get parts for the original set up.

·
Registered
836 Posts
So which one do I get? One for a manual transmission which is in the car now?

Or do I get one for an automatic transmission that was originally installed?

CJ says manual, Summit says Auto? Lol. Or does it even matter?
Conversion kits that says "automatic" usually don't make space for the stock Z-bar clutch linkage, while "manuel" also will work with automatic. If you use a non stock clutch linkage setup, like cable or hydraulic, you may have look more into it before buying a booster. When trying to mix non-stock parts, things can get a little complicated.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I also think you should call WCCC. Those guys know exactly what works and doesnt work.

Reactions: rpm2380
1 - 9 of 9 Posts