Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1967 fender bolts behind door hinge

5K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  4ocious 
#1 ·
I should have this bolt in my AMK Master Bolt Kit. But I don’t know what it looks like nor the description.
What does it look like?
I’m about to weld a nut to the bracket if I cant find the correct bolt.

See less See more
#10 ·
My Metuchen built '68 had the J nuts on the brackets (both sides) when I got it in 2008. I'm not at home tonight but tomorrow I'll look in my '68 Osborn Body Assembly Manual to see what it shows and report back. I'm sure the attachment method was different for the model year '65/66 cars though, and I suppose it's also possible this could be one of those many mid year changes (March, '68) Ford made to reduce production costs after the strike ended in November of '67. Let's see what the book says... :)

#14 · (Edited)
Turns out there is nothing specific about this in the Body Assembly Manual, and the Ford Shop Manual only makes a reference to removing the "Pillar Bolt" for fender removal. No drawings of exactly how it is attached. It seems that the J nut can be installed either way (bracket or fender) and allow for adjustment while holding everything just fine when tightened. Mine does. I would defer to 22GT if his long experience says one way or the other though, bet he would know. :)

#15 ·
The fender, and the structural brace inside it, goes in front of the bracket. The nut is welded to the brace. The bolt passes through the bracket into the nut within the fender.

Mounting the nut in the bracket would make it impossible to attach the fender to it.

#17 ·
On 69's, (May or may not apply here) the bolt looks similar to the fender bolt, but has a larger washer to cover the square hole during adjustment.

#18 ·
Here's a fender with a clip nut attached to the tab inside the fender.

The white-painted one shows the bolt going through the square hole (visible at the edge of the bolt) into the fender.

If the bolt passes through the fender tab first, there's no way to adjust the bolt position, and of course attaching a nut to the large square hole in the bracket would be challenging to say the least.

Reactions: 4ocious
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.