Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am putting new fender scripts with the 289 badging on my fastback. this is going to be a chore. does anyone have helpful tips on how to do this? i know that next months "mustang monthly" is going to have the measurements, but i dread the thought of having to drill a hole for each letter. any help would be greatly appreciated. my e-mail is: [email protected]

thanks,

jim

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Since the pieces of fender script are all welded together, after drilling one set of holes correctly the rest should be no real big task. Of course, you should WANT to do hard work for your pony! Look what it does for you! How would you like YOUR pistons pumping at 4000 revolutions per minute 5 minutes after you woke up!?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i love working hard for my mustang...but the deal is..i have the repo script from scott drake..the letters aren't welded together..they are all seperate. that's the only way i've ever seen them on a '67. i know, i know..i love my car!!! i really do!!!!

jim (67' wimbledon white fastback/289-2v)

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Seperate huh? Weird... Well, I guess then you can just give it a go! I really can't think of any other way to attach the letters.. The only suggestion I have is to purchase 1968 fender script then...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok..i guess fender script is the wrong word..see, in 67'..the mustang letters are printed..in 68' the are written, which means of course they would be welded together. you use the same lettering that you use for the trunklid. sorry for the confusion.

jim

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Oh yeah I know what you mean.

The only suggestion I have to make your life easier would be to buy fender lettering from the 1968 model year, hehe... Sorry man =(

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Until next month's issue of MM, I'd ask around a couple of places you know may have an old 67 fender you can take a template from (in cutting the lower portion off of or paper template). On the paper template, draw a line through all the holes occuring on a single line. On the car, lightly scribe in wax or graphite a line(s) at the proper centerline the letters would run; make the line longer than your template. Line the template up with the line on the car and attach with masking tape. Centerpunch the hole locations. I like using a delf-centering punch to mark each hole since I can center it better and it leaves a centering dimple rather than a dent.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

·
4,129 Posts
Or put a GTA emblem on the fender. No but really a couple of suggestions. Get a good brand new drill bit. I would use a piece of masking tape, inch wide. Tape the location of the fenders where the letters will go. Draw a straight line in the middle of the tape. Now back up 10 feet and look at the line. Is it level? Now place the template over in and mark the hole pattern onto the tape. Double check, all the holes should be spaced the same amount above and below the "centerline". I would double and triple check every hole location. Better to spend a little extra time before than a lifetime of looking at a crooked letter that only you can see because you drilled it crooked. The hardest part will be making the template. Good luck! fd

1967 GT coupe been in my garage since 1974
1993 Ranger ExtCab 4.0L daily driver
1996 Aerostar wifes ride
Those that know it all are willing to learn something new, those that think that they know it all don't know anything.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I did this same technique on my hood. I got a 68 hood without the FORD on the front. Made a template from my old hood. Turned out pretty good. Just take your time and make sure evertyhing is lined up.

http://home.mindspring.com/~thedaughertys/_uimages/M1.jpg
Now 293 ci (.030" bore) with Holley 450 and 295,000 miles
MCA #49294

1 - 9 of 9 Posts