Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1967 ford mustang
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i got a 1967 ford mustang with a long shaft steering colum. i have a had vibration on my steering wheel ever since i bought the car and i have done everything to make it stop. i have no rag joint on my steering colum does any one think if i put a rag joint on my steering colum that it might solve the vibration. it does that even ideling or driving down the road it is just a little ennoying. and i thing it might transfer from the motor to my steering colum. thanks in advance combiner

·
Registered
50 Posts
No to a rag joint. Have you looked for contact between the engine and steering linkage?

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
Be sure all three bolts for the steering box to the frame are tight and look for contact with the steering center link and other components to the engine or exhaust, and exhaust to the shock towers etc.

·
Registered
1967 ford mustang
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi there,i have put on new motor and transmission mounts to no revail.it is a 289 automatic and yes the engine and tranny have been changed by someone before i had the car it does have headers and i checked all over nothing close to touching anything..but i will check again.i have put in new spark plugs and wires thought maybe it had a miss on a cyclinder but it run so smooth new timeing chain new destibutor check cyclinder pressure all right up there.could it be somthing in my transmission that is out of balance.the dash borard everything does not vibrats just the steering wheel even at an idle.i will check my steering box for any loose bolts. thanks guys anything is appreciateted i am at wits end.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You said you tried "everything" but didn't list what those things were.

So I have to ask - you've checked the front wheels for balance right?

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts

The front wheels wouldn't be an issue at idle, but good thinking for when it's rolling.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ahhhhhhh, I missed that very important point about idle ..... Doh!

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
1967 ford mustang
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

yes i but on disk brakes on it and all new tire rods new bearings in wheels new amonic balancer got wheels balanced 2 times u joints new shocks new motor mounts and transmission new its not the disk brakes cause it did it before i put disk brakes.on.so i dont no what else it could be. it is for sure to do with motor or tranny cause it has a steering wheel vibration as soon as i start the engine.any speed is all the same

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
yes i but on disk brakes on it and all new tire rods new bearings in wheels new amonic balancer got wheels balanced 2 times u joints new shocks new motor mounts and transmission new its not the disk brakes cause it did it before i put disk brakes.on.so i dont no what else it could be. it is for sure to do with motor or tranny cause it has a steering wheel vibration as soon as i start the engine.any speed is all the same
OK I see you put your location in your profile now but have not responded to my PM. My buddy Terry is in the Peg as well and probably could help you out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Did you use factory style motor and trans mounts or polyurethane? The latter will transfer vibration.

·
Registered
65 Fastback, 5.0 supercharged, EFI, coil over strut front suspension,4 link rear
22 Posts
have you tried disconnecting the accessory belt(s) and momentarily starting the engine?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts