Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an original 6cyl that I want to change from four lug drum to five lug disc. Power is not a make or break as I would be driving this maybe once a month to local car show. How can I tell if the spindle I have will accept the new five lug discs from all the various suppliers?

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
since your car is a 67, the spindles are the same between the six and V8 cars. you can use the disc brake kit of your choice.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I replaced my tank and sending unit with the same product and have exactly the same issue.
Why change them out for once a month, local driving?
Even if you only drive once a month.. you still want to be able to stop!

I drove a 67 with 6cyl drums for a couple years back when I was young and dumb(er).. Scary as hell! I know what brake fade feels like!

·
Super Moderator
11,494 Posts
Drums set up and maintained properly are more than capable of providing excellent braking.

I’m just questioning why,....

I’d look into seeing why you’re experiencing issues.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I drove a 67 with 6cyl drums for a couple years back when I was young and dumb(er).. Scary as hell! I know what brake fade feels like!
Thats to discourage tail gating, riding the brakes or simply treating the gas/brakes as on/off switches.
Yes, some will pay the idiot tax with drum brakes and since I like to hot rod and general hooliganism I changed mine but with a cruiser, even a Cadillac land yacht I wouldn't bother, just drive differently.

Now, if the OP wants more wheel choices then ya, go ahead while you're at it. Stopping on a dime or within a few car lengths from 50 over and over to make turns can be exhilarating like a burn out though:cool:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Drums set up and maintained properly are more than capable of providing excellent braking.

I’m just questioning why,....

I’d look into seeing why you’re experiencing issues.
The op is talking about a 67 with the smaller 6cyl drums on all four wheels. They do NOT stop as well as the V8 drum brakes. Under the best of circumstances, these brakes will stop you OK..

I live in Floriday where you get rain and standing water on a regular bases.

Even drums that are in perfect operational order, will fade 100% when you drive through standing water deep enough to soak them.

Also most people are not accustomed to driving a car with drum brakes anymore and do not pump the brake in reverse every week or so. So keeping them in adjustment is an issue too.

If you have a car you want to keep stock, then sure, keep em original and well maintained. You will be ok as long as you don't drive like maniac and are carefull.

But let your kid, or someone drive it who is used to a modern car.. and you are asking for problems!

·
Super Moderator
11,494 Posts
Seems like overkill for twelve local drives annually,.....

But we all have our reasons, go for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for the responses. I wouldn’t change anything but for the fact the rear has 5 lug rear when I got the car and I would like to run all matching wheels. I heading over to Mustangs unlimited (unless there’s feedback on better option)to grab the goods

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Mustang Unlimited are gone. Every thing you'll need in one kit.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
5,065 Posts

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Factory KH front discs are an option, but so are factory 5-lug drums. Lots of people take them off for discs and you can pick them up at low cost.

Thats whats on my 67. Some day I will go to discs but these are fine for now.

P.S. If the water is so high its going to soak your brakes, dont drive in it, its dangerous.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
P.S. If the water is so high its going to soak your brakes, dont drive in it, its dangerous.
Well thats a great idea, if you know how deep puddles, potholes and standing water is, and you have some safe way to avoid them.

Florida has seasonal afternoon showers that can drop a lot of water very fast. It is not hard to find yourself with no choice but driving through a low spot where water gets high enough to get your drums wet. I am not talking about driving through floods. It only takes a few inches of hard rain to accumalate in places around here.

I drove a 4w Drum brake Mustang around for quite a few years. Both 6cyl, and a V8 car. If you keep them well maintained, they can be safe to drive. So I did not say that you "Have" to swap them. Only that there is a very significant advantage to disks. How many new cars are made with front drums now? They stopped making them for a good reason.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
5,065 Posts
Well thats a great idea, if you know how deep puddles, potholes and standing water is, and you have some safe way to avoid them.

Florida has seasonal afternoon showers that can drop a lot of water very fast. It is not hard to find yourself with no choice but driving through a low spot where water gets high enough to get your drums wet. I am not talking about driving through floods. It only takes a few inches of hard rain to accumalate in places around here.

I drove a 4w Drum brake Mustang around for quite a few years. Both 6cyl, and a V8 car. If you keep them well maintained, they can be safe to drive. So I did not say that you "Have" to swap them. Only that there is a very significant advantage to disks. How many new cars are made with front drums now? They stopped making them for a good reason.
Because discs were cheaper....

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Because discs were cheaper....
can you back that up? Then why did drums remain standard on rear brakes for year? If drums were really more expensive, then why were front disks an upgrade at all?

I do think there are situations were disks were "all in" a better cost/benifit play, when it was just cheaper to streamline production instead of carrying cost of two separate lines of parts.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
In the case of water on the road getting your brakes wet. After exiting the water, tap the brakes a few times and they will dry out. People drove with four wheel drums for decades. My dad bought his first disc brake car in 75 at age 45.

Just like the single bowl master cylinder going out. Your e-brake becomes your backup.

If you are going to drive a classic, you need to know how to drive a classic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts